Should I write a Diversity Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
abarrios

Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby abarrios » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 am

I'm half Mexican and half white but I was born in the U.S. Never had to overcome any adversity.

The only thing I can think to write about is my experience with the Mexican culture. My grandpa is an entreprenuer who came from Mexico. My father is also an entrepreneur who owns a salsa manufacturing company. I've worked there for over 2 years with about 60 guys who are from Mexico. Also, half of my family lives in Mexico so I visit there frequently.

I know far more about the Mexican culture than most people, and I have more respect for Mexican immigrants than most others would.

I'm really just not sure how I can formulate this into a diversity statement.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, if I don't write a diversity statement, am I going to forfeit my URM bump?

Thanks

paratactical

Re: Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 am

If I were in your position, I would frame it around the salsa. Is their a particular trick or secret or family recipie? Do you remember when the secret was passed down to you?

Obviously, I don't know you, so this is just an idea, but I imagine you could write about making food in Mexico, in your home in America and in the factory and that it could present all the subjects you mentioned in a cohesive way.

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks.

Anyone other ideas?

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Last bumped by abarrios on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:37 pm.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”