Which topic is stronger?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
DearCan

Which topic is stronger?

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 am

Hi all! New to TLS and looking forward to contributing to the community.

Introductions aside, I'm having an issue deciding my PS topic (shocking, I know). I've done several outlines over the last month for various possible topics but most just didn't flesh out. Right now I've got two options on the table:

1) Write about my managerial work experience in college and after college. I worked during all of undergrad and I'm currently two years out, so I feel my WE could be a strong topic if I discuss leadership roles, work ethic, etc.

2) Write about a specific experience I had with a course in college. I took an advanced logic and philosophy course without a symbolic logic prerequisite. Even though it wasn't required for the course, the professor advised those who had not taken symbolic logic to drop his class. Roughly 15/45 students stuck with it, myself included, and I managed to finish third in the class.

Considerations: Strong resume, UGPA lower than most LS medians.

Which topic should I choose?? It's possible there's one that's obviously stronger than the other, but honestly I've been looking at these outlines for far too long...

DearCan

Re: Which topic is stronger?

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Oh come on guys, consider it a poll. 1 or 2.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 pm

I would say 1.

2 seems...I don't know, not like the right thing to talk about.

But, it all depends on how you write it.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:I would say 1.

2 seems...I don't know, not like the right thing to talk about.

But, it all depends on how you write it.

Yeah it's a bit tricky. The reason I'm even considering it is to address that my UGPA isn't indicative of my capabilities, without coming right out and saying it.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Neither idea is particularly wow, so it will all come down to how you write it.

It might be good to write both of the essays. Maybe in trying to draft them, you'll come up with a third, better idea.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 pm

But I'd say drill down on a particular experience or story, then discuss how it demonstrates your attributes: I.e. "The day Bob stormed into my office half drunk on home made wine was the day I realized how important character and leadership is in the workplace" or some such thing.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm

DearCan wrote:Yeah it's a bit tricky. The reason I'm even considering it is to address that my UGPA isn't indicative of my capabilities, without coming right out and saying it.

That doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me. The Personal Statement isn't the place to come out and make underhanded excuses. I think the first topic gives you plenty of opportunity to show your proven successes and positive qualities.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:25 pm

paratactical wrote:Neither idea is particularly wow, so it will all come down to how you write it.

It might be good to write both of the essays. Maybe in trying to draft them, you'll come up with a third, better idea.

I had the same thought.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Kchuck wrote:
DearCan wrote:Yeah it's a bit tricky. The reason I'm even considering it is to address that my UGPA isn't indicative of my capabilities, without coming right out and saying it.

That doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me. The Personal Statement isn't the place to come out and make underhanded excuses. I think the first topic gives you plenty of opportunity to show your proven successes and positive qualities.

Yikes, I certainly don't want to come off as trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Any suggestions on how to effectively address UGPA shortcomings?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:32 pm

DearCan wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

Yikes, I certainly don't want to come off as trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Any suggestions on how to effectively address UGPA shortcomings?

The general consensus here is to write a GPA addendum, provided that you can keep it short and simple and have a legit reason beyond "I fucked off during fresh and soph years" (ie death in the family, you had cancer, etc)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”