Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby abarrios » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Here is my criminal record addendum explaining six citations:

When I was seventeen and eighteen I made a series of errors in judgment which resulted in disciplinary criminal action.

In my senior year of high school, I began a phase in my life, which in order to grow out of, required some major soul searching and family support. I received during High school one minor in consumption citation and two public intoxication citations. All incidents were dismissed and removed from my visible record. My conduct was manipulative and insensitive to my family, friends and mentors who cared about my success. That conduct came to a head during my freshman year at the two respective Community Colleges I attended.

On September 7th, 2007, while I was enrolled in my freshman year at XXXXX Community College, I stole a textbook from an off campus bookstore. Later that day, I was pulled over, arrested and charged with a class B misdemeanor for theft. In sentencing I received a year of probation and seventy hours of community service. In December of this same semester, while I was still enrolled at XXXXX Community College, I was arrested again for possession of marijuana paraphernalia. I plead guilty to this crime and was forced to pay a fine.

On March 17th, 2008, while I was enrolled in the second semester of my freshman year at XXXXX Community College (Different college FYI), I stole a carton of cigarettes from my employer, XXXXX grocery store. I was caught on camera, and I was arrested and charged with another class B misdemeanor for theft. In sentencing the charge was reduced to a class C misdemeanor and I received three months of probation.

I successfully completed counseling, the assigned probation and community service for all of these charges, and I have not been arrested or charged with any criminal activity in over two and a half years. I was a very immature and naive adult while committing these crimes. I never thought about the future, I had no regards for other people or their property, and I acted selfishly off of impulse and inclination alone. Since the occurrence of these incidents I have continuously been employed, held positions in extracurricular organizations, participated in non-mandated community service, and received far better grades which include being listed continuously on the Dean's List and occasionally on the President's list for academic achievement at XXXX University. I have learned what it means to be responsible through all of these activities. I now respect other people and their property, and take pleasure in leading a reputable and candid lifestyle. All of these things happened during my freshman year of college, and since then I have significantly grown and matured. I accept full responsibility for my actions and nothing of this nature will ever happen again.

So, any thoughts or suggestions about this addendum?

Also, am I screwed as far as admissions? I just realized today that in Texas you are considered an adult at age seventeen, and now I have to disclose six citations rather than the three that I thought initially.
164/3.76/Mexican

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Last edited by abarrios on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby cartercl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I had 9 to disclose on some of my applications. Just be as honest as possible and really point out the things that show how much you've changed. I suppose I should ask what tier the schools you are applying to are in (T-14, T1?). That might matter.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby abarrios » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm

cartercl wrote:I had 9 to disclose on some of my applications. Just be as honest as possible and really point out the things that show how much you've changed. I suppose I should ask what tier the schools you are applying to are in (T-14, T1?). That might matter. How long ago was the most recent offense?


The most recent offense was over two and a half years ago and I havent been in trouble since. I have recieved fee waivers from half of the t-14, so I will probably be applying to the rest of the t-14 except for YHS. I want to practice in Texas someday, so I will be applying to UT, UH, SMU, and Baylor, all of which I have recieved fee waivers from. I will also be applying to tulane, LSU, and some safety schools.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby blurbz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:45 pm

"...during the seventeenth and eighteenth years of my life..."

Really? Just say, "When I was seventeen and eighteen"...if you don't make this change, I bet adcoms don't get past the first sentence without negatively judging you.

As for the rest of it, you say that you were naive and insensitive as a young adult. That sounds a lot like an excuse to me, and I don't think adcoms will appreciate it. The folks reading your addendum will be able to infer that from the actions you are disclosing, there's really no need to point it out. To demonstrate that you've grown and matured, talk about how it has effected your actions and how it will continue to effect your actions.

Good luck!

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 pm

blurbz wrote:"...during the seventeenth and eighteenth years of my life..."

Really? Just say, "When I was seventeen and eighteen"...if you don't make this change, I bet adcoms don't get past the first sentence without negatively judging you.

As for the rest of it, you say that you were naive and insensitive as a young adult. That sounds a lot like an excuse to me, and I don't think adcoms will appreciate it. The folks reading your addendum will be able to infer that from the actions you are disclosing, there's really no need to point it out. To demonstrate that you've grown and matured, talk about how it has effected your actions and how it will continue to effect your actions.

Good luck!


+1

i think if you can go deeper into your psychology than i "learned to take other people's property seriously," people would be more convinced.

i'm not an adcom, but i'm a normal person with a normal understanding of how normal people think. if i read this and found out you were gonna be my roommate, i'd be really scared about my computer getting jacked or leaving my wallet out. it sounds like, "i realized that i am getting in deep crap for stealing."

unless you were dirt poor, in which case, by all means present that, you were probably stealing for an underlying reason. you just didn't respect society, or authority (ex: the bookstore, your boss, drinking in public). these seem like classic boy vs. man actions. i'd mention a specific lesson learned, and specific physical steps you took to change this character trait. it's not a book, but you can be a bit longer if you aren't taking that space to justify your actions.

the fact it happened a while ago, and you weren't caught again shows a lesson learned. but whether this lesson meant you de-jerked yourself or just learned to be a jerk in more subtle ways is a question i'd have personally.

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby thegor1987 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Cigarettes decrease oxygen content in your blood, and thus one who smokes them is unable to exercise well.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm

thegor1987 wrote:Cigarettes decrease oxygen content in your blood, and thus one who smokes them is unable to exercise well.


you're assuming people need oxygen to exercise. what if he's exercising in space, and has an oxygen mask?

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby thegor1987 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm

You should be okay however for admissions. The biggest thing that looks good for you is the time elapsed. Which looks like for you it's been at least 3 years.


No adcomm wants to hear some horseshit about how an applicant has changed when their record shows a drinking/stealing violation a year prior.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby cartercl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm

abarrios wrote:
cartercl wrote:I had 9 to disclose on some of my applications. Just be as honest as possible and really point out the things that show how much you've changed. I suppose I should ask what tier the schools you are applying to are in (T-14, T1?). That might matter. How long ago was the most recent offense?


The most recent offense was over two and a half years ago and I havent been in trouble since. I have recieved fee waivers from half of the t-14, so I will probably be applying to the rest of the t-14 except for YHS. I want to practice in Texas someday, so I will be applying to UT, UH, SMU, and Baylor, all of which I have recieved fee waivers from. I will also be applying to tulane, LSU, and some safety schools.


I think this is one of those cases where your LORs will play a more important role than usual. If the people who wrote them say very good things about your character, not just your abilities, I think you will be in a much better situation.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:55 pm

cartercl wrote:
abarrios wrote:
cartercl wrote:I had 9 to disclose on some of my applications. Just be as honest as possible and really point out the things that show how much you've changed. I suppose I should ask what tier the schools you are applying to are in (T-14, T1?). That might matter. How long ago was the most recent offense?


The most recent offense was over two and a half years ago and I havent been in trouble since. I have recieved fee waivers from half of the t-14, so I will probably be applying to the rest of the t-14 except for YHS. I want to practice in Texas someday, so I will be applying to UT, UH, SMU, and Baylor, all of which I have recieved fee waivers from. I will also be applying to tulane, LSU, and some safety schools.


I think this is one of those cases where your LORs will play a more important role than usual. If the people who wrote them say very good things about your character, not just your abilities, I think you will be in a much better situation.


+1

strong point.

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby thegor1987 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 pm

justadude55 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:Cigarettes decrease oxygen content in your blood, and thus one who smokes them is unable to exercise well.


you're assuming people need oxygen to exercise. what if he's exercising in space, and has an oxygen mask?


However, in real life, at this time, humans who smoke cigarettes are not fit for space travel. So your logic is irrelevant.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:Cigarettes decrease oxygen content in your blood, and thus one who smokes them is unable to exercise well.


you're assuming people need oxygen to exercise. what if he's exercising in space, and has an oxygen mask?


However, in real life, at this time, humans who smoke cigarettes are not fit for space travel. So your logic is irrelevant.


and you don't need to intensely exercise to stay fit so for the 99% of the US who isn't training for the olympics, your point would be obsolete.

plus why can't smokers go to space????? i am not a smoker, but this seems very unfair. is your next argument going to be that mcdonalds eaters can't go to heaven?

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum. Six citations to explain. Am I screwed?

Postby thegor1987 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 am

justadude55 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:Cigarettes decrease oxygen content in your blood, and thus one who smokes them is unable to exercise well.


you're assuming people need oxygen to exercise. what if he's exercising in space, and has an oxygen mask?


However, in real life, at this time, humans who smoke cigarettes are not fit for space travel. So your logic is irrelevant.


and you don't need to intensely exercise to stay fit so for the 99% of the US who isn't training for the olympics, your point would be obsolete.

plus why can't smokers go to space????? i am not a smoker, but this seems very unfair. is your next argument going to be that mcdonalds eaters can't go to heaven?


the technology, it's too new.

I don't see why McDonald's eaters can't go to heaven? In fact, they might even get there faster if they get clogged arteries




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.