PS Topic Help Please Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
LRR

New

PS Topic Help Please

Post by LRR » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Hey, my topic for my PS is about my experience as a delegate in the 2008 elections. Do you think this would be acceptable considering it reveals my
political leanings and exposes positions on certain issues (foreign policy briefly)? It was the Republican convention, but I am by no means a hard line
Republican. I was mostly interested in being a part of the process and getting a better understanding of it.

Once again the PS focuses mostly on my experience and tries to avoid being ideological in all but one paragraph.

Thanks

St.Remy

Silver

Re: PS Topic Help Please

Post by St.Remy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 pm

LRR wrote:Hey, my topic for my PS is about my experience as a delegate in the 2008 elections. Do you think this would be acceptable considering it reveals my
political leanings and exposes positions on certain issues (foreign policy briefly)? It was the Republican convention, but I am by no means a hard line
Republican. I was mostly interested in being a part of the process and getting a better understanding of it.

Once again the PS focuses mostly on my experience and tries to avoid being ideological in all but one paragraph.

Thanks
Should be fine as long as you don't spend time proselytizing about your political ideology. Just stick to how it got you interested in the law, show what kind of person you are through your story, etc. In a two page essay you should be able to avoid offending anyone. What do you discuss in the one paragraph you mention?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Law schools probably do not care about your political leanings, but they do care about your ability to express yourself clearly in a succinct manner.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Law schools probably do not care about your political leanings, but they do care about your ability to express yourself clearly in a succinct manner.
+1

i really think they just want people who can make and partake in a rational argument in terms of personality.

as long as it somehow talks about your personality, it'll be good. i don't think dropping the famous names will help you that much unless how you describe them reveals something about YOU.

LRR

New

Post by LRR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:52 am

St.Remy wrote: Should be fine as long as you don't spend time proselytizing about your political ideology. Just stick to how it got you interested in the law, show what kind of person you are through your story, etc. In a two page essay you should be able to avoid offending anyone. What do you discuss in the one paragraph you mention?
Thanks for the advice, the paragraph in question deals with the way I voted on a certain resolution concerning the party's platform on the Iraq War/ military spending. I voted the opposite from everyone in my section, but not everyone at the convention, and I was trying to highlight how despite this, many of the delegates around me (even the really far right Republicans) still respected my stance after I had a chance to speak with them. (I was very young at the time compared to everyone else there).

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to tie the whole thing together into why I want to be a lawyer/go to law school, and so far I pretty much just have a short story that kind of highlights some of my traits, while not really mentioning law at all. I suppose I talk about the rules and procedures of the delegation somewhat.

As for any names, I've avoided that for the time being, but I feel like they could add to the narrative in some subtle manner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”