Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 pm

kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Fucking rap, how does it work?

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Deuce » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm

kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Some are notably worse than others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnoaj8b2bGM


User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:47 pm

ResolutePear wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM&feature=channel


On a second thought, maybe I played the interracial card too early in this thread.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby 2807 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:19 pm

It's just this easy....

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXM2D_NypfA

Then, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw


You're welcome.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm

kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


as does some R&B:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zSivvoYoE&

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm

kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Outed as a Nickelback fan

If you like Jazz, there is hiphop you like

If you like funk, there is hiphop you like

If you like poppy garbage, there is hiphop you like

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Some are notably worse than others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnoaj8b2bGM


That's not hiphop

That's reggaethon

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Outed as a Nickelback fan

If you like Jazz, there is hiphop you like

If you like funk, there is hiphop you like

If you like poppy garbage, there is hiphop you like



Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster I don't like funk, poppy garbage, or jazz.

Think Alice In Chains / Metallica / Pantera / Megadeth.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
kalvano wrote:All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.


Outed as a Nickelback fan

If you like Jazz, there is hiphop you like

If you like funk, there is hiphop you like

If you like poppy garbage, there is hiphop you like



Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster I don't like funk, poppy garbage, or jazz.

Think Alice In Chains / Metallica / Pantera / Megadeth.


I'll elaborate on that:

Think Queen / Depeche Mode / Rammstein / KISS

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Rammstein, Du Hast, brings back memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:29 pm

hijodehombre wrote:Rammstein, Du Hast, brings back memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g

Memories? I was just playing football the other day with the music. Really pumps the field up and switched the game from tag to full contact/no equipment.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm

There is nothing wrong at all with any of those bands. Except maybe Rammstein, they get a little repetitive for me.

"Ooh, look at us, we're shocking and we sing in German so it sounds angry! Ooh, look at us!"


Also, Freddie Mercury did not die of AIDS. He exploded with awesomeness.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm

True, but any foreign band that manages to get US listeners has accomplished an admirable feat.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm

kalvano wrote:There is nothing wrong at all with any of those bands. Except maybe Rammstein, they get a little repetitive for me.

"Ooh, look at us, we're shocking and we sing in German so it sounds angry! Ooh, look at us!"


Also, Freddie Mercury did not die of AIDS. He exploded with awesomeness.

If I ever had a terminal disease, I personally would like to get strapped on to a nuke and launched somewhere. Preferably somewhere that needs to get 'freed'. I know, it's retarded - but all the other ways seem bland in comparison... except maybe live incineration.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:35 pm

hijodehombre wrote:True, but any foreign band that manages to get US listeners has accomplished an admirable feat.


We're all living in Amerika, baby!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 pm

hijodehombre wrote:True, but any foreign band that manages to get US listeners has accomplished an admirable feat.



The videos might have had something to do with it.

Also, do not ever listen to them in English. It sucks.

Do find their cover of "Barbie Girl", though.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:True, but any foreign band that manages to get US listeners has accomplished an admirable feat.



The videos might have had something to do with it.

Also, do not ever listen to them in English. It sucks.

Do find their cover of "Barbie Girl", though.

haaa

And yeah... German all the way.

Some songs are naturally English by their context, though... Amerika.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:True, but any foreign band that manages to get US listeners has accomplished an admirable feat.



The videos might have had something to do with it.

Also, do not ever listen to them in English. It sucks.

Do find their cover of "Barbie Girl", though.

haaa

And yeah... German all the way.

Some songs are naturally English by their context, though... Amerika.


Except Mein Teil, that one only makes sense in German, if eating someone's member can make any sense at all.

CreativityKing
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby CreativityKing » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

I <3 this thread.

Weeeoooweeeooooweee weeeoooweeeoooweee weeeoooweeeoooweee

like a cop car.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:04 pm

CreativityKing wrote:I <3 this thread.

Weeeoooweeeooooweee weeeoooweeeoooweee weeeoooweeeoooweee

like a cop car.


Call the fucking amber lamps! Mario's been shot and is now bleeding rag goo!

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby DreamShake » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:37 pm

2807 wrote:Racial profiling is a theory, no matter what color I am. You are using your race-based lens now.

It may benefit you to refer to yourself as one who agrees with the theory, but be cautious if you refer to it as fact. Someone may ask you for the proof. Real Proof. You will not have it. You will find yourself citing the media (for profit), or activists (also, never turn down a profit), or emotional accounts that distort the truth of the moment. See if you can quote case law that proves your theory. Go talk to a Crim Justice professor and see what they say.

I am not saying that there is not a profound race issue among us. I am just saying that you are stating a fact that is not in evidence. Be careful when you do that. The adcom will certainly see it. I did.

Good luck to you. I appreciate your passion <--- You can quote me on that.


Whether racial profiling is better classified as a theory or a fact is a matter of semantics. Moreover, because racial profiling has been empirically demonstrated, the classification is also a moot point. As far as not having real proof:
-In the late 80's LAPD instituted a program called "Operation Hammer" in response to gang violence. It was the explicit policy of the LAPD to enter poor, minority-populated areas and arrest as many blacks as possible. LAPD's C.R.A.S.H. unit has been involved in many such operations, though they have declined in frequency and scope since the 80's.
-Courts have issued opinions on the matter (e.g., U.S. v. Brignoni-Ponce (Supreme Court)).
-Racial profiling has been acknowledged as a problem by figures ranging from the Attorney General to the President.

Get your facts straight. Don't assume that the only sources on racial profiling are media and activists; a plethora of academic research has focused on the phenomenon, and the vast majority has confirmed the presence of racial profiling/racial prejudice on the part of police. That racial profiling does not occur in some areas says nothing about its prevalence in other areas.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 pm

dont use a quote from someone else to help make your point in your personal statement

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby 2807 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm

DreamShake wrote:
2807 wrote:Racial profiling is a theory, no matter what color I am. You are using your race-based lens now.

It may benefit you to refer to yourself as one who agrees with the theory, but be cautious if you refer to it as fact. Someone may ask you for the proof. Real Proof. You will not have it. You will find yourself citing the media (for profit), or activists (also, never turn down a profit), or emotional accounts that distort the truth of the moment. See if you can quote case law that proves your theory. Go talk to a Crim Justice professor and see what they say.

I am not saying that there is not a profound race issue among us. I am just saying that you are stating a fact that is not in evidence. Be careful when you do that. The adcom will certainly see it. I did.

Good luck to you. I appreciate your passion <--- You can quote me on that.


Whether racial profiling is better classified as a theory or a fact is a matter of semantics. Moreover, because racial profiling has been empirically demonstrated, the classification is also a moot point. As far as not having real proof:
-In the late 80's LAPD instituted a program called "Operation Hammer" in response to gang violence. It was the explicit policy of the LAPD to enter poor, minority-populated areas and arrest as many blacks as possible. LAPD's C.R.A.S.H. unit has been involved in many such operations, though they have declined in frequency and scope since the 80's.
-Courts have issued opinions on the matter (e.g., U.S. v. Brignoni-Ponce (Supreme Court)).
-Racial profiling has been acknowledged as a problem by figures ranging from the Attorney General to the President.

Get your facts straight. Don't assume that the only sources on racial profiling are media and activists; a plethora of academic research has focused on the phenomenon, and the vast majority has confirmed the presence of racial profiling/racial prejudice on the part of police. That racial profiling does not occur in some areas says nothing about its prevalence in other areas.


I deleted my response because I do not care to debate it on here. I appreciate the multiple views to this important topic. Carry on.
Last edited by 2807 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby paratactical » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:39 pm

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.