Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 am

So I am using quotes to describe stages in my life and how the law has applied to my perception around the world

Now, part of this is moving to a place where I saw racial profiling first hand, after a lifetime of basically never getting any real trouble from the police--was thinking of using a hiphop quote about profiling and drug abuse in a city with a needle exchange and then spinning how it altered and diversified my perception of the law (NOT going to be anti police, though of course, the song is a bit less nuanced than I, the quote itself is more straightforwardly just referencing the sound a police siren makes)

Now---is this too risky? Is it a risk embedded with other sections quoting esteemed and non controversial social activists and the like? Should I clear it and leave out a section of my life for my less "reach" schools (or make a more vanilla one for these) and then insert it for my reaches to see if it gets some traction?

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby PDaddy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 am

Adcoms say they really don't like the quote thing, especially at the beginning of an essay. They say it has been done too often, and too often done poorly. It often comes across as contrived, and when adcoms read them, they often just float through the essay b/c the quote wasn't relatable to the essay or was offensive in some way. If you use it, use it at the end of your essay, and make sure it's a really obscure one that has depth and goes with your story. They will have at least read your essay beforehand.

But remember this, a great essay can stand alone. It needs no gimmics, quotes (famous or otherwise) or fancy language in order to carry its message. Good, straightforward prose is always best.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Sogui » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 am

I promise you that if you include that quote and you think about it a few years from now you'll cringe.

My vote is no

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Renzo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:20 am

So, in other words, you want to know if its a good idea to tell the admissions office the primary reason you want to go to law school is because a rap song you heard says the police are bad?

I think you know the answer to that.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Renzo wrote:So, in other words, you want to know if its a good idea to tell the admissions office the primary reason you want to go to law school is because a rap song you heard says the police are bad?

I think you know the answer to that.


Not exactly

But I can see the interpretation as such

I know the quote thing has been overdone...but I am having trouble coming up with something thematically that works...ugh, they should just have interviews for everything, I think it is worth the 80-100 dollars I pay per app

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:26 pm

PDaddy wrote:Adcoms say they really don't like the quote thing, especially at the beginning of an essay. They say it has been done too often, and too often done poorly. It often comes across as contrived, and when adcoms read them, they often just float through the essay b/c the quote wasn't relatable to the essay or was offensive in some way. If you use it, use it at the end of your essay, and make sure it's a really obscure one that has depth and goes with your story. They will have at least read your essay beforehand.

But remember this, a great essay can stand alone. It needs no gimmics, quotes (famous or otherwise) or fancy language in order to carry its message. Good, straightforward prose is always best.



I was actually looking for a multiple quote thematic section relating to experiences in my life---IE a quote about democracy, then one from a French speech, then one from a Chinese text, and then finally a legal one

They will certainly be relevant, and I know it is overdone, but these are some great quotes. Well, back to the drawing board.

User avatar
kinch
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kinch » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:27 pm

WOOP WOOP

That's the sound of the police...

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Please, please, please be wanting to use "Fuck Tha Police".

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby dakatz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 pm

kalvano wrote:Please, please, please be wanting to use "Fuck Tha Police".


Haha, the first thing that came to my head as well. "Cop Killa" by Ice-T might actually be even worse.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby 2807 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 pm

If you will quote "hip hop" would you quote a smurf? Would you quote a house plant? Would you quote a TV character? Would you quote the voices in your head?

OP: Can you name 5 things that you think would be inappropriate to quote?

I would like to see where you draw the line.

Also, you may want to do your homework and make sure you are not referring to a theory as if it is fact. Racial profiling is a theory. Tread carefully, your adcom may be well aware of the naiveté that comes through when presenting a hip-hop quote and linking it to the propaganda that cyclicly profits from it.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:49 pm

kinch wrote:WOOP WOOP

That's the sound of the police...


That's the one.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 pm

2807 wrote:If you will quote "hip hop" would you quote a smurf? Would you quote a house plant? Would you quote a TV character? Would you quote the voices in your head?

OP: Can you name 5 things that you think would be inappropriate to quote?

I would like to see where you draw the line.

Also, you may want to do your homework and make sure you are not referring to a theory as if it is fact. Racial profiling is a theory. Tread carefully, your adcom may be well aware of the naiveté that comes through when presenting a hip-hop quote and linking it to the propaganda that cyclicly profits from it.


Racial profiling is a theory? I'm going to guess there is no way in hell you are not white...racial profiling is a theory just like gravity is

Love the quotes when using hiphop, I am sure you would do the same for "rock & roll"---I would quote anything that relates to my experiences, including a loquacious house plant :roll:

regardless, I will be leaving it out, I will have good numbers and a strong resume so I might as well not ruffle any feathers...old white men are probably going to be the ones deciding on my app

How does everyone feel about the quotes? I'm really wondering, but I might just leave it as prose

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Quotes are difficult to use at best, and I normally would recommend against them, unless they are done very well, and that's hard to tell without reading the entire personal statement.

My general thoughts are the PS should above all not offend or rub people the wrong way; the risk/reward and success percentage of this ploy doesn't make it the smart move, in my opinion.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby 2807 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:13 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
2807 wrote:If you will quote "hip hop" would you quote a smurf? Would you quote a house plant? Would you quote a TV character? Would you quote the voices in your head?

OP: Can you name 5 things that you think would be inappropriate to quote?

I would like to see where you draw the line.

Also, you may want to do your homework and make sure you are not referring to a theory as if it is fact. Racial profiling is a theory. Tread carefully, your adcom may be well aware of the naiveté that comes through when presenting a hip-hop quote and linking it to the propaganda that cyclicly profits from it.


Racial profiling is a theory? I'm going to guess there is no way in hell you are not white...racial profiling is a theory just like gravity is

Love the quotes when using hiphop, I am sure you would do the same for "rock & roll"---I would quote anything that relates to my experiences, including a loquacious house plant :roll:

regardless, I will be leaving it out, I will have good numbers and a strong resume so I might as well not ruffle any feathers...old white men are probably going to be the ones deciding on my app

How does everyone feel about the quotes? I'm really wondering, but I might just leave it as prose



Racial profiling is a theory, no matter what color I am. You are using your race-based lens now.

It may benefit you to refer to yourself as one who agrees with the theory, but be cautious if you refer to it as fact. Someone may ask you for the proof. Real Proof. You will not have it. You will find yourself citing the media (for profit), or activists (also, never turn down a profit), or emotional accounts that distort the truth of the moment. See if you can quote case law that proves your theory. Go talk to a Crim Justice professor and see what they say.

I am not saying that there is not a profound race issue among us. I am just saying that you are stating a fact that is not in evidence. Be careful when you do that. The adcom will certainly see it. I did.

Good luck to you. I appreciate your passion <--- You can quote me on that.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:55 pm

2807 wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
2807 wrote:If you will quote "hip hop" would you quote a smurf? Would you quote a house plant? Would you quote a TV character? Would you quote the voices in your head?

OP: Can you name 5 things that you think would be inappropriate to quote?

I would like to see where you draw the line.

Also, you may want to do your homework and make sure you are not referring to a theory as if it is fact. Racial profiling is a theory. Tread carefully, your adcom may be well aware of the naiveté that comes through when presenting a hip-hop quote and linking it to the propaganda that cyclicly profits from it.


Racial profiling is a theory? I'm going to guess there is no way in hell you are not white...racial profiling is a theory just like gravity is

Love the quotes when using hiphop, I am sure you would do the same for "rock & roll"---I would quote anything that relates to my experiences, including a loquacious house plant :roll:

regardless, I will be leaving it out, I will have good numbers and a strong resume so I might as well not ruffle any feathers...old white men are probably going to be the ones deciding on my app

How does everyone feel about the quotes? I'm really wondering, but I might just leave it as prose



Racial profiling is a theory, no matter what color I am. You are using your race-based lens now.

It may benefit you to refer to yourself as one who agrees with the theory, but be cautious if you refer to it as fact. Someone may ask you for the proof. Real Proof. You will not have it. You will find yourself citing the media (for profit), or activists (also, never turn down a profit), or emotional accounts that distort the truth of the moment. See if you can quote case law that proves your theory. Go talk to a Crim Justice professor and see what they say.

I am not saying that there is not a profound race issue among us. I am just saying that you are stating a fact that is not in evidence. Be careful when you do that. The adcom will certainly see it. I did.

Good luck to you. I appreciate your passion <--- You can quote me on that.


Or citing stop and frisk statistics of the NYPD/VPD, but then it stops being a personal statement and just dries it out to be nothing more than a political tract.

Regardless---I am now reevaluating my PS---realizing that if I am going to play the game, might as well play to the audience, because I am trying to get in anyway, not actually express myself as a person (funny how that works out)

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:19 pm

kinch wrote:WOOP WOOP

That's the sound of the police...


Damn beat me to it.

I would be inclined to say no but I can't say no to KRS-One.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Either way, the last two words of your PS should be: "Free Mumia!"

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:30 pm

I prefer "Fry Mumia!"

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:27 pm

i think it depends on the artist.


For instance, I would steer clear of quoting someone like mannie fresh.

"A wise man once said: "house real big, cars real big, pockets real big, everything real big." This concept of "real big" also applies to my intellect.


But someone like talib kweli? or even like a jadakiss? perhaps.


Regardless of the profundity of the quote, it's how its used that really matters.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:36 pm

"Dear Yale,

You fancy, huh?"

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:40 pm

New York, New York, big city of dreams.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Talking about quotes in an app reminded me of this:

Kid: "Tell me about when you were young, Grandpa."

Grandpa: "Oh, sonny, those were crazy times. My friends and I were out of control.
We used to give each other wet-willies and funny arm. We'd play dandy-balls and legs-a-spread and penis-butt."

Kid: "Sounds kind of gay, Grandpa. "

Grandpa: "It was gay. Everyone was. But, back then, we were called pole-fancies.
It was real, good old-fashioned "grab the nearest tree and hold on for dear life" gay, not today's fancy, featherbed, thread-count gay. People got hurt back then!

Kid "That's gay."

Grandpa: "Yeah, it was pretty gay "


Oh, and "Fuck Tha Police" was better.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby hijodehombre » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:04 pm

we don't call 'em five Os, we call 'em one-time

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:50 am

ResolutePear wrote:Talking about quotes in an app reminded me of this:

Kid: "Tell me about when you were young, Grandpa."

Grandpa: "Oh, sonny, those were crazy times. My friends and I were out of control.
We used to give each other wet-willies and funny arm. We'd play dandy-balls and legs-a-spread and penis-butt."

Kid: "Sounds kind of gay, Grandpa. "

Grandpa: "It was gay. Everyone was. But, back then, we were called pole-fancies.
It was real, good old-fashioned "grab the nearest tree and hold on for dear life" gay, not today's fancy, featherbed, thread-count gay. People got hurt back then!

Kid "That's gay."

Grandpa: "Yeah, it was pretty gay "


Oh, and "Fuck Tha Police" was better.


Fuck Tha Police is in no way better than Sound of da Police...never ever

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Police profiling/hip hop quote...too risky?

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:14 pm

All rap and hip-hop sucks really, so it's like debating which pile of shit smells better.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.