overcoming economic hardship - is it too generic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
coffeetable

New

overcoming economic hardship - is it too generic?

Post by coffeetable » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi guys

Does mentioning about how I made all the money needed to finance my Ivyleague education make my application impressive?
Or do you thing its too generic?

I am an international student, not eligible for need-based financial aid. I had to make money to finance myself up to my junior year. I dont have any loan for it. I paid for myself. I am graduating 1.5 years later than other kids but I am pretty proud of myself about that. Can it be an impressive story? or does it sound like I am making too much deal out of it?

It's not gonna be the main theme but I am gonna spare 1-2 paragraphs about how focused, how ambitious I am despite the economic hardship.

Do you think it would work?

St.Remy

Silver

Re: overcoming economic hardship - is it too generic?

Post by St.Remy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I think that struggling economically is one of those topics that is done fairly often, but which can still be very compelling if done right. I think that in most cases someone reading your app will not be blown away by the subject, but if you write well enough to make the reader empathize with your situation it can work out well for you. So it would be generic, but not too generic if you craft a decent PS.

thesybarite

Bronze

Re: overcoming economic hardship - is it too generic?

Post by thesybarite » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I think anything that sets your app slightly apart is good.
Some advice I was given was to focus on the international thing, which I think makes sense because there's far fewer international kids applying than kids who paid their way through school, with regards to making an impression. Definitely leave a paragraph for the money bit but don't make it the whole point I'd say. Focus on how it reflects you perhaps, like how you're goals driven, ambitious, have endurance, hard working etc

I also think it's impressive to finance your way through school btw

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”