Sensitive Language in Essay

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cartercl

Sensitive Language in Essay

Postby cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 pm

If I'm quoting someone who used a racial slur should I use the actual word, or should I use it's hyphenated alternative (e.g. [n-word], [f-word], etc...)? I mean I'm quoting someone else so I don't want to misrepresent the quote, but at the same time I don't want to unintentionally offend anyone (the slur was used towards me btw). I think it's necessary to spell it out for effect, but I'm on the fence.

What do some of you think?

St.Remy

Re: Sensitive Language in Essay

Postby St.Remy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 pm

cartercl wrote:If I'm quoting someone who used a racial slur should I use the actual word, or should I use it's hyphenated alternative (e.g. [n-word], [f-word], etc...)? I mean I'm quoting someone else so I don't want to misrepresent the quote, but at the same time I don't want to unintentionally offend anyone (the slur was used towards me btw). I think it's necessary to spell it out for effect, but I'm on the fence.

The only reason I can think of to quote someone using offensive language is to draw attention to the language itself. As you say it's necessary to actually use the word for effect, or else I assume you could just use another quote that does not use the potentially offensive word so as to bypass this problem. Use the quote as-is or find another one that doesn't use the offensive word.

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:57 pm

cartercl wrote:If I'm quoting someone who used a racial slur should I use the actual word, or should I use it's hyphenated alternative (e.g. [n-word], [f-word], etc...)? I mean I'm quoting someone else so I don't want to misrepresent the quote, but at the same time I don't want to unintentionally offend anyone (the slur was used towards me btw). I think it's necessary to spell it out for effect, but I'm on the fence.

I think if you're actually going to quote her then you should use the real word. If you're just describing the situation or something, maybe say n-word.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Okay. From what you guys have said I think it's necessary to use the actual word for my purposes. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”