Critique "Why Cornell" essay Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cinefile 17

Bronze

Critique "Why Cornell" essay

Post by cinefile 17 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

Last edited by cinefile 17 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Re: Critique "Why Cornell" essay

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

really vague....so you like the location and size... do some more research into the programs and be more specific in your answers. Sorry to sound harsh, but I just feel like you are saying a lot without saying much...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Although the physical and social environment are important to consider when selecting a law school, I'm not sure that they are necessarily factors that should be mentioned in a "why x" essay. Or, at least, they shouldn't be the primary factors.

I'm also writing a "Why Cornell" essay for this cycle, but mine focuses on a dual degree offer that is unique to Cornell. Specific programs or opportunities should be addressed in this type of essay.

kayljsh

New

Post by kayljsh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm also writing a "Why" essay, although not to Cornell. I'm curious how long these typically are?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:30 pm

kayljsh wrote:I'm also writing a "Why" essay, although not to Cornell. I'm curious how long these typically are?
1/2 to 1 page, I believe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kayljsh

New

Post by kayljsh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Why are people writing a "Why Cornell" essay? AFAIK they don't ask for one, and give you 2 1/2 lines on the application to give a reason.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Why are people writing a "Why Cornell" essay? AFAIK they don't ask for one, and give you 2 1/2 lines on the application to give a reason.
Was wondering the same thing. They specifically give you the space in the app to write this.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:13 pm

yeah, I don't think it is a great idea to write an essay when not asked for one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm

artichoke88 wrote:yeah, I don't think it is a great idea to write an essay when not asked for one.
bumping this reply. does anyone agree or disagree with this? I was thinking of writing a Why X for berkeley, penn, michigan, duke, cornell, and georgetown, but not all of them ask for one...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:yeah, I don't think it is a great idea to write an essay when not asked for one.
bumping this reply. does anyone agree or disagree with this? I was thinking of writing a Why X for berkeley, penn, michigan, duke, cornell, and georgetown, but not all of them ask for one...
A lot of schools have it informally - as in they say anything that you wish to include that would help them make a decision, you can.

Michigan def has one as one of their optional essays.
UVA doesnt ask for one, but they say a lot of people submit them anyways, and dont discourage it.
Penn's 5 year plan is basically a why Penn.

Though with Cornell in particular, they have space in the application that asks why cornell, so I think the posters above probably mean - if they ask for it in the application and give you space to fill it out, why would you supplement that with a second Why Cornell?
Last edited by trudat15 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm

iwanta170 wrote: bumping this reply. does anyone agree or disagree with this? I was thinking of writing a Why X for berkeley, penn, michigan, duke, cornell, and georgetown, but not all of them ask for one...
If they say they accept one or accept "any additional info" then I would say write it if it is good. If they don't then don't. If it is written like crap, or even just mediocre, don't attach it.

Maybe if they don't say it but you are trying to avoid getting YP'ed then you may want to, but only maybe.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:40 pm

cinephile wrote:Although the physical and social environment are important to consider when selecting a law school, I'm not sure that they are necessarily factors that should be mentioned in a "why x" essay. Or, at least, they shouldn't be the primary factors.

I'm also writing a "Why Cornell" essay for this cycle, but mine focuses on a dual degree offer that is unique to Cornell. Specific programs or opportunities should be addressed in this type of essay.
More like a francophile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:42 pm

For Cornell, will it look good if we say "Please see attachment" on the 2-3 lines they give and include the Why X?

I just want to do anything I can to show my interest

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:24 pm

iwanta170 wrote:For Cornell, will it look good if we say "Please see attachment" on the 2-3 lines they give and include the Why X?

I just want to do anything I can to show my interest
bump

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
cinephile wrote:Although the physical and social environment are important to consider when selecting a law school, I'm not sure that they are necessarily factors that should be mentioned in a "why x" essay. Or, at least, they shouldn't be the primary factors.

More like a francophile.
Why can't I be both? :lol:

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:38 pm

From TLS interview of Cornell's Dean of Admissions:
How do you view personal statements that briefly mention Cornell Law, but could be sent to other schools with a few adjustments?
- I don’t have a set view on it. If it’s a good personal statement, it will be good regardless of whether it mentions our law school. The same would be true if it’s a bad personal statement.

Could an applicant significantly improve his or her chances of admission by drafting a personal statement specifically for Cornell?
- I don’t think so. A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vanny

New

Post by Vanny » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:40 pm

"In pursuit of a legal education to serve the underprivileged, I wish to gain the best practical experience law school can provide. Cornell's Child Advocacy Clinic will allow me to build on previous mentorship experience with at-risk youth, and grant the opportunity to facilitate constructive conversations by sharing those experiences."

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Vanny wrote:"In pursuit of a legal education to serve the underprivileged, I wish to gain the best practical experience law school can provide. Cornell's Child Advocacy Clinic will allow me to build on previous mentorship experience with at-risk youth, and grant the opportunity to facilitate constructive conversations by sharing those experiences."
There is no real need to respond to 6 year old threads about Cornell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”