Please Critique My Michigan Supplemental Essay Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cartercl

Bronze

Please Critique My Michigan Supplemental Essay

Post by cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:17 am

Last edited by cartercl on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

verdandi

New

Re: Please Critique My Michigan Supplemental Essay

Post by verdandi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:51 am

A good start, but I have a couple issues.
Throughout my life I have been through many unique experiences. Growing up in the South was not exactly what one would call easy.
First, I would hesitate to call your experiences "unique." This may be strictly true (in the sense that no one person's experiences are identical to another's) but "unique" is an over-used word that borders on hyperbole.

Second, I would strongly caution you against painting "the South" with such a broad brush. Perhaps unintentionally this sentence reads as a veiled accusation that "the South" is the root of the problems you subsequently list. Some of your admissions officers may well be from "the South," and you might want to keep that in mind.
I have been a victim of racial intolerance;
This is a big claim that makes the reader eager to hear more about it. However, the rest of your essay never delves into your personal experiences, but rather when you stood as a witness to injustices perpetrated against others. Your essay will be more powerful if you focus either on 1) how you personally experienced discrimination and how you responded or 2) how you responded to discrimination against your friends. If you focus on the latter and didn't do as much as you would like, you could always say that you want to cure your feeling of helplessness by going to law school, etc.

Last issue: beware passive voice. Active voice makes your writing more interesting and easier to read. On a related note, also consider rewording your piece to eliminate the repeated use of present and past perfect ("have made," have taught," "have witnessed," etc.). While grammatically correct, this tense can get a bit tiring to read and interrupts the flow of your piece.

Good luck! It is a very good start.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 am

verdandi wrote:First, I would hesitate to call your experiences "unique." This may be strictly true (in the sense that no one person's experiences are identical to another's) but "unique" is an over-used word that borders on hyperbole.

This is credited. See, e.g., http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... f558f&ID=6. :wink:

Good luck!

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 am

Fixed :lol: Just finished journal work, I couldn't resist! (and yes, I know internet sources need more than this, yadda yadda yadda)

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”