(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Postby rossrobert » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm

So I am re-applying to schools this year and spoke to one of the admission committees members to a school I have applied to and will be again this year. However, I am not really sure what my PS should focus on this year. Last year I discussed my learning disability, which I was going to again this year but with a different approach this year as I had been denied accommodations on the LSAT which lead me to talking to many different people these last few months which I was going to talk about how these ppl inspired me and so forth and how i remain determined. Anyways, the ACM told me that maybe I should address this in an addendum and focus on something else instead with the PS. However, I don't really know what else I can write about. I mean my parents went through a bad divorce, but I don't think that is something I should write about. I did study abroad in college, but then again don't know why I would really write about that.

I know none of you know me personally, but what other topics would you suggest writing about/what have you addressed in your PS?

Re: Advice...

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 pm

It might help to remember it doesn't have to be some huge overarching event from your life. Tiny tidbits often make for the best PS's. Pick a small thing that shows something you want to demonstrate to the AdComms and weave your PS around it. A PS can be based around a single millisecond. Hope this helps.

Re: Advice...

Postby starrydecisus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:05 am

Put aside everything legal and just think about what defines you in your life. Do you have a hobby you're passionate about? Did a book really inspire you at some point? etc. etc. Think about why that thing or those things are important to you and what you can draw from that and then connect it to your desire to go to law school. And draw in any accomplishments, experience, etc. that kind of follow that.

I followed this sort of mind set and it worked well. It just depends on the person though.

(also, don't bring up your parents' divorce)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”