LSAT addendum critique and help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
trudat15

LSAT addendum critique and help

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by trudat15 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: LSAT addendum critique and help

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 pm

I might consider not even writing an addendum considering pretty much every school takes the top score. You are giving an excuse for a voluntary choice you made, to direct. In spite of that, if anything this is probably one of the few "excuse" LSAT addenda that may be worth including.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm

bk1 wrote:I might consider not even writing an addendum considering pretty much every school takes the top score. You are giving an excuse for a voluntary choice you made, to direct. In spite of that, if anything this is probably one of the few "excuse" LSAT addenda that may be worth including.

Thanks BK. Seems like whenever I have a question, you seem to be one of the first to respond. Really appreciate it.
I know most schools take the highest these days, but thought that if there was a huge jump, the adcomms would want to see why? I think I read that somewhere in one of the Dean interviews on here. Since there was a 10 point jump, thought I might have to tell them something..?

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:23 am

For what it's worth, I really don't think it can hurt. I've read on a few schools websites that if the difference between scores is more than 7 points,then it's recommended to write an addendum.

Plus, you have an awesome reason - it's not like it says, "I was disorganized and lack time management skills". It says, "I had a hugely successful/stressful career" - inference, you must really want to go to law school if you're giving it up.

I don't know. I think it's worth explaining. No one's going to be bored reading your addendum, let's just say that.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

thesybarite wrote:For what it's worth, I really don't think it can hurt. I've read on a few schools websites that if the difference between scores is more than 7 points,then it's recommended to write an addendum.

Plus, you have an awesome reason - it's not like it says, "I was disorganized and lack time management skills". It says, "I had a hugely successful/stressful career" - inference, you must really want to go to law school if you're giving it up.

I don't know. I think it's worth explaining. No one's going to be bored reading your addendum, let's just say that.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm submitting since it's a 10 point gap. Not really giving it up, plan to use JD to come back and hopefully grow my company.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Nice. Respect.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 am

trudat15 wrote:
thesybarite wrote:For what it's worth, I really don't think it can hurt. I've read on a few schools websites that if the difference between scores is more than 7 points,then it's recommended to write an addendum.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm submitting since it's a 10 point gap. Not really giving it up, plan to use JD to come back and hopefully grow my company.

Mine's a nine point gap. I am thinking I should write an addendum - I will probably not submit it to every school, however.

For example I probably would send it to Davis as they require explanations of jumps more than 5 points and probably not Hastings.

Is it a good idea to send an addendum to certain schools only?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:19 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Mine's a nine point gap. I am thinking I should write an addendum - I will probably not submit it to every school, however.

For example I probably would send it to Davis as they require explanations of jumps more than 5 points and probably not Hastings.

Is it a good idea to send an addendum to certain schools only?

I would say use your best judgement. Go through Dean interviews and see what school says what. Like BK said, a lot of schools only take the highest, so there is no reason to submit, but some schools ask for it (ie Davis), and other schools (like Chicago) have dean interviews where they explicitly say they'd like to see an explanation for a jump over 8 points or so.

I'm submitting mine to everywhere I've read that likes it, and anywhere where they might avg (NYU/Columbia), and not submitting it to others.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”