Final-ish Draft--Please Take a Look! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
DreamShake

Bronze

Final-ish Draft--Please Take a Look!

Post by DreamShake » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Edit: Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll put this in the sample PS thread after my cycle is over.
Last edited by DreamShake on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Final-ish Draft--Please Take a Look!

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 pm

I read your personal statement quickly & while dealing with another matter, but it seems to be quite good & very convincing.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm

I have to say this is one of the most inspiring pieces of written I've read on this site. Sorry for not being able to provide much criticism but it's very well written and straight to the point. The conclusion is not narrow at all. Good luck, and I hope that if we apply to the same schools, our applications aren't read consecutively :)

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:07 pm

wut did you get arrested for

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 pm

An interesting aspect of this personal statement is that the writer successfully made the offense irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 pm

I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of the "click, click, click" line in the first paragraph.

But, overall, this is a truly well crafted PS. I agree with Canadian Wolf, you have successfully deemphasized your crimes, and the reader (well, this reader anyways) isn't left pondering the circumstances of your offenses, or doubting your present character.

This line is great:

DreamShake wrote:Nor do I know the extent to which I will succeed—entire systems are rarely changed by just one person.

In it, you demonstrate many excellent qualities -- humility, rationality, insightfulness to name a few.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of the "click, click, click" line in the first paragraph.

But, overall, this is a truly well crafted PS. I agree with Canadian Wolf, you have successfully deemphasized your crimes, and the reader (well, this reader anyways) isn't left pondering the circumstances of your offenses, or doubting your present character.

This line is great:

DreamShake wrote:Nor do I know the extent to which I will succeed—entire systems are rarely changed by just one person.

In it, you demonstrate many excellent qualities -- humility, rationality, insightfulness to name a few.
Do you think the "click-click-click" should be replaced by another onomatopoeic phrase or simply deleted? I thought it sounds a little weird, too, since handcuffs make more of a ratcheting noise--I just haven't been able to come up with the right words. Also, would anybody be opposed to changing the "Nor do I know" sentence to this:
Nor do I know the extent to which I will succeed—entire systems are rarely changed by just one person, and any successes will likely owe to the work of many.
I'd like to convey that I don't think I'm going to be working alone as a civil rights attorney--I know I'll frequently be working in a team dynamic.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Simply deleted. I see nothing that can be gained from having an onomatopoeia in a Personal Statement for Law School Admissions.

Do not change "Nor do I know." It's much stronger as is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”