Am I using this word correctly?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Mike12188

Am I using this word correctly?

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am

"I used this time to take up new hobbies and to inquire about interests I never had time for. "

The word is "INQUIRE"...it used to be "...and to EXPLORE interest I never had time for." But I used explore twice already in the essay

Really my question is does "inquire about" sound right? It sounds awkward to me?

sophia.olive

Re: Am I using this word correctly?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 am

delve into, explore, investigate,... sound more fun to me, especially in relation to hobbies.
IMHO

^ sorry RC Fail. I would use one of these in place of "take up" though, and then keep inquire, so you have a passionate and serious feel to your time.

I would not put that you didn't have time for them. Although hardly, it hints at you not being able to juggle a lot of activities.
Last edited by sophia.olive on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 am

Change if from "inquire about interests" to "inquire into interests"???

I think that sounds a little better, still pretty bad though.....

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 am

I don't think so. Inquiring about/into something would be just asking a general question about a subject, not actively studying or participating in it. For example, inquiring into horseback riding would be asking "Where can I learn to ride horses?" so if you are trying to convey a sense of participating in new experiences, that isn't the right word.

Also, please don't end that sentence with a preposition. Just re-word the whole thing.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 am

eskimo wrote:Also, please don't end that sentence with a preposition. Just re-word the whole thing.

And, while we're editing other parts of this sentence. Let's just be honest, this sentence just completely sucks. Not just the grammar, but the entire idea you're trying to convey. Pure crap, go ahead and remove it.

/thread

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:13 am

eskimo wrote:I don't think so. Inquiring about/into something would be just asking a general question about a subject, not actively studying or participating in it. For example, inquiring into horseback riding would be asking "Where can I learn to ride horses?" so if you are trying to convey a sense of participating in new experiences, that isn't the right word.

Also, please don't end that sentence with a preposition. Just re-word the whole thing.

My literary friends are telling me this isn't a taboo anymore. Fight!

OP, as others have said, just reword the whole thing.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
eskimo wrote:I don't think so. Inquiring about/into something would be just asking a general question about a subject, not actively studying or participating in it. For example, inquiring into horseback riding would be asking "Where can I learn to ride horses?" so if you are trying to convey a sense of participating in new experiences, that isn't the right word.

My literary friends are telling me this isn't a taboo anymore. Fight!

OP, as others have said, just reword the whole thing.

I'm sure there's a lot that's okay now, but do you want to risk having an adcomm read your file and that happens to be their one great pet peeve?

I didn't think so. I'm of the mindset that very traditional style rules should be followed to be on the safe side.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
eskimo wrote:Also, please don't end that sentence with a preposition. Just re-word the whole thing.

And, while we're editing other parts of this sentence. Let's just be honest, this sentence just completely sucks. Not just the grammar, but the entire idea you're trying to convey. Pure crap, go ahead and remove it.

/thread

H20 easy man! If your profile is true, I'll let you know when I wanna take advice from someone pulling a 2.7 in elementary education. Seriously man, you need to lose the whole "badass" attitude. I'm always open to criticism just don't be a dick, especially if your not YHS.

Everyone else, thanks a bunch! I'll just reword the whole thing.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 am

:shock:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:55 am

Mike12188 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

/thread

H20 easy man! If your profile is true, I'll let you know when I wanna take advice from someone pulling a 2.7 in elementary education. Seriously man, you need to lose the whole "badass" attitude. I'm always open to criticism just don't be a dick, especially if your not YHS.

Everyone else, thanks a bunch! I'll just reword the whole thing.

You're welcome bro, feel free to PM with any more questions :D

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”