Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby cyxdev17 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I've been working on this thing for a long time, and the more I write the more I feel like I'm straying away from a quality PS.

I'm not a bad writer, but I can't think anything compelling that I can talk about without sounding like I'm regurgitating my resume. When I showed my drafts to reviewers, their comments implied that I was going in the wrong direction. I don't want to force something through that doesn't have a solid foundation.

Anyone going (or did go) through the same thing? Any advice on how to get inspired? I know this is a vague question but I'm hoping someone will write something that'll help.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:25 pm

It doesn't need to be a long story arc, it can be a small incident. You don't need to cover the entire span of your life, you could cover a month, a week, a day, or even merely an hour.

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby Dripworx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:39 pm

I know the feeling, I havnt started yet for that reason alone. Ive drafted a few and literally tossed all of them to the bin

Im having a hard time picking a specific event. And more importantly content... Ive had a few very life defining moments thus far, but not quite sure if they are appropriate for Law school. I.e overcoming a substance dependency. I think I should focus on my cultural differences regarding my family and how the combo of a south american family in an american society has its clashes and really helped me develop a unique approach to life.

dont know if im on the right track either :cry:

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

This isn't helpful in the least but I also have no idea what I'm going to write about

cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby cyxdev17 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:59 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:This isn't helpful in the least but I also have no idea what I'm going to write about


But at least I feel less alone. So thanks!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:03 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:This isn't helpful in the least but I also have no idea what I'm going to write about


But at least I feel less alone. So thanks!


That's what I was going for :)

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 pm

.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sapien
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby sapien » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:26 pm

I've got nothing. And I've been trying to come up with a topic for the past two months. FML.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 pm

I took me a while to figure out how I wanted to present my PS. Luckily (or unluckily) I had a major even in life to write about, but framing it was going to be difficult without making it seem like a pity-party story.

I think the best thing to do is to pick even a small event that you found particularly meaningful. It doesnt have to be some tragic story or some obvious life altering event. Just something that is important to you. If it is well written and presented in a meaningful or interesting way, it should grab the attention of the adcomms and you should be good to go. Im sure that everyone here has an interest, an event, or a person that is particularly special to them.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:38 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:This isn't helpful in the least but I also have no idea what I'm going to write about


+1

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby MiamiUG » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:43 pm

After over a month of "brainstorming" with basically nothing to show for it, I've decided that personal statements are bullshit. Essentially, the school wants to get to know the "real you" in a 600 word essay. Anyone who can explain who they are in any meaningful way in such a small writing are either BSing you, extremely shallow, or have had some extraordinary thing happen to them that is safe enough to write a PS about. I like to think that I don't fall into either of the first two categories, and I know I'm not in the third. Fuck

User avatar
MrAdams
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby MrAdams » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 am

MiamiUG wrote:After over a month of "brainstorming" with basically nothing to show for it, I've decided that personal statements are bullshit. Essentially, the school wants to get to know the "real you" in a 600 word essay. Anyone who can explain who they are in any meaningful way in such a small writing are either BSing you, extremely shallow, or have had some extraordinary thing happen to them that is safe enough to write a PS about. I like to think that I don't fall into either of the first two categories, and I know I'm not in the third. Fuck


Yeah, I have never seen such a pitiful word limit for such an all encompassing section of an application. More over, as there are so many conflicting ideas on how to construct a good personal statement, any sense of a solid foundation when you tackle this section is effectively neutralised. I really think it boils down to a throw of the hat. I'd like to think that as long as you have an impeccable grasp of the English language and can covey your character in a way that will make an admissions officer (at the end of the day..) subjectively like 'you' as a person, you have got a good shout.

DasBoot
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby DasBoot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:18 am

My process for this has been similar to my process back in the days of being an aspiring poet. I have one Word file for my PS drafts. Any time I have an idea or a spare moment, I start to write. If there is a new theme I'm trying at, I put in a page break to separate it from another one. At this point I have about 4 going with different strengths and weaknesses, but as time goes by I get a chance to look at the older ones with a fresh perspective and I make changes from there. For subject matter, I don't think you need to have some terrible story about getting molested by your alcoholic, deadbeat father while being forced to smoke crack by aliens who just burned down your house and killed your dog. I still haven't seen exactly how those stories lead directly to becoming a lawyer instead of Batman, but that's for another day. Don't be afraid to dump your mind onto the page. You can always trim in editing- I'd rather have more than enough when its time to start really editing than come out with a final draft that's way too short.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 am

DasBoot wrote:My process for this has been similar to my process back in the days of being an aspiring poet. I have one Word file for my PS drafts. Any time I have an idea or a spare moment, I start to write. If there is a new theme I'm trying at, I put in a page break to separate it from another one. At this point I have about 4 going with different strengths and weaknesses, but as time goes by I get a chance to look at the older ones with a fresh perspective and I make changes from there. For subject matter, I don't think you need to have some terrible story about getting molested by your alcoholic, deadbeat father while being forced to smoke crack by aliens who just burned down your house and killed your dog. I still haven't seen exactly how those stories lead directly to becoming a lawyer instead of Batman, but that's for another day. Don't be afraid to dump your mind onto the page. You can always trim in editing- I'd rather have more than enough when its time to start really editing than come out with a final draft that's way too short.


That's a really good idea...I keep coming up with possibilities and being like, "I'll remember when I start writing" and then I forget so I still have nothing.

I lol'd at the bolded...but I seriously feel like everybody has those stories. I'm so normal in that regard. I kind of wish aliens forced me to smoke crack at some point, then I'd have something to write about.

scgirl
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Anyone having major trouble coming up with a PS?

Postby scgirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:07 am

I'm having major trouble, too. I have no idea what to write about. I've had a fairly normal life with my two parent, happy household. We even have a fence and a dog. :) It seems to me like you almost have to be a crime, war, famine victim to have a "good" topic to show overcoming adversity.... what happened to regular people wanting to go to law school just because it's what they want to do? I've wrote two drafts. Folks have commented that it's too vast, makes me sound "sheltered", immature, etc. I can't blame them for not liking them.... I don't like them at all. I just have nothing to write about. Good luck. I know this is horrible but i'm glad i'm not alone. I've always heard misery loves company. :)




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.