How far in advance should you start your PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
thedude221

Bronze

How far in advance should you start your PS?

Post by thedude221 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Two weeks good enough?

kazu

Gold

Re: How far in advance should you start your PS?

Post by kazu » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:53 pm

thedude221 wrote:Two weeks good enough?
Umm... I'm guessing it differs for everyone based on their writing process. I'd say the earlier the better though.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Far enough in advance for you to write it, re-write it, take a bit of time off, and come back to make final edits.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:55 pm

thedude221 wrote:Two weeks good enough?
Whenever you are able. I would call two weeks not early enough TBH. You want time to re-write and possibly even scrap several draft ideas, along with time to edit specific paragraphs, whittle at certain phrasing and vocab, and polish punctuation and spelling.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:44 pm

It has taken me two weeks to get to my next to final draft. After a few grammar edits and a couple of word and phrasing changes it will be done. I have written basically three different essays at this point, and this essay is on its fifth draft now.

Then all I have to do is edit it again to get it down to two pages for the rest of the law schools, edit it again to change the final paragraphs for a couple of schools whose focuses are very different... and, about two weeks from now, I will be able to upload it finally. :D

So, it just depends on you: your schedule, how well you write, how quickly you write... and, of course, how anal retentive you are!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sknowl01

New

Post by sknowl01 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:09 am

I spent two months researching and gathering information on the best way to approach writing my personal statement. Just today I sat down with all the information I gathered and wrote my first draft. I expect to spend at least another three weeks refining my statement and editing it for grammar and spelling.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 am

I struggled for several months. I didn't actually write for several months, but I struggled to find my best approach.

I actually would write down a basic theme and scribble an outline on it, multiple times per day.

I would say if you already know exactly what your topic/theme will be, 2 weeks is fine. If you're not 100% sure, start now.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 am

Exactly 17 days 5 hours and 32 minutes. If you started too soon, might as well just retake/reapply. If you started late, just give up, you will never finish in time. /sarcasm

Honestly though, the more time the better. If you start too soon the worst that can happen is you knock out your PS and have that component ready for your apps. Now I wouldn't start it during clutch LSAT study time.

Really it will depend on a number of individualized factors. How well do you write? Do you know what you want to write about? How much time do you have to spend on it? etc etc etc'

I believe I started a little over a month ago. However, I was writing multiple different essays (PS, DS, WHY statements, and addenda). I would work on one... submit it for revisions... get feedback... set it aside for a bit to get it out of my mind and then work on a new draft. I am just now feeling pretty good with the nearly finished products.

hncsarge34

New

Post by hncsarge34 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I agree that the more time spent on a PS the better, but 2 weeks should be plenty of time if you have a set topic. As long as you're not scrapping entire themes everyday, 2 weeks should be enough to draft and edit appropriately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 pm

It depends on your ability, but I would say a week is a bare minimum to get edits from people. Just realize that the fewer days/weeks you give it, the more you have to devote to it per day.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 pm

I tinkered with mine for months and months. To look at my "original" and compare it to what I am ready to submit, indicates quite a process that I could not have done in 2 weeks.

It really depends on your starting point to determine how long it will take you to reach the finish line.

If you have a clear and strong statement to make, then you can do it in an afternoon. Review it a few days later, and move on. Do you think that is you? It was not me. For me, I had a lot of thoughts in my head, and it was a process of filters and re-writes to end up where I am now. The two page limit is challenging.

If you feel comfortable, toss up a short list of what you are considering and see what feedback you get. The feedback may show you a good picture of where you are in your own process of producing this.
8)

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 pm

^^^2807^^^

A GPA addendum or a "Why X" essay you can write in one sitting, but nothing enables you to identify ways of improving your PS better than time. In most cases you get a decision months after you transmit a particular application, and the wait won't be pleasant if you neglected to compile a thoughtful, coherent PS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”