Can 1 essay serve as both a PS and DS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
IAMGenius

New

Can 1 essay serve as both a PS and DS?

Post by IAMGenius » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:09 pm

I have had my PS critiqued on TLS a couple of times now, and a number of people have mentioned that it serves both the purpose of a PS and of a DS. I just want to know if this is ok, or should I also write a seperate DS?

Dany

Diamond

Re: Can 1 essay serve as both a PS and DS?

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 pm

In my opinion, it's better as one essay. You want to get your message across as clearly and concisely as possible, and the less the adcomms have to read, the better. One great essay is better than two mediocre ones.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:20 am

If you can do it in one, then great. I know vanwinkle did this and had success getting into UVA as well as transferring to HLS with the same (*I believe) essay.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:24 am

Two great essays > one great essay. :)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 am

LAWLAW09 wrote:Two great essays > one great essay. :)
Eh, no. Adcomms read THOUSANDS of applications every year, and if you give them one great essay that covers everything you need it to, they will value your conciseness. If no additional essays are requested by the school, don't throw extra crap at them.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:57 am

eskimo wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:Two great essays > one great essay. :)
Eh, no. Adcomms read THOUSANDS of applications every year, and if you give them one great essay that covers everything you need it to, they will value your conciseness. If no additional essays are requested by the school, don't throw extra crap at them.

lol. ok. Who said anything about "crap?"

Adcomms accept emails and give out fee waivers to certain applicants while telling others "we don't give out waivers that aren't through LSAC." They accept four letters of recommendations when many times they only require two. And, they negotiate scholarships after they already "ran out of funds."

Bottom line: They're interested in finding the best applicants that they can admit while keeping their jobs, not unwritten rules that are largely in place to avoid a flood of poorly submitted essays and apps.

Great apps and great essays don't annoy adcomms. To suggest otherwise solely b/c you assume you know what would and wouldn't make their jobs more efficient or enjoyable is poor advice.

If one is an URM, a great PS + great DS > one great PS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”