Embellishment and the Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
arean.ryan
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 am

When writing your personal statement what degree of embellishment is appropriate? A guy I knew overdosed on drugs, (I am not going to use him as an example to gain sympathy), I want to embellish my relationship with him to personify my main point in the story. If he was an acquaintance (shared some laughs in school; not too many outside), but I tell the story as if he were a close friend would this be morally irresponsible or the art of storytelling? Any thoughts are appreciated...

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Lonagan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 am

If you have to ask...

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Marionberry » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:43 am

So by embellishment you mean dishonesty?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 am

Marionberry wrote:So by embellishment you mean dishonesty?

No, he means embellishment! It's just like dishonesty but doesn't make him feel like a bad person.

arean.ryan
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 am

Maybe embellishment was the wrong term. I am in no ways being dishonest. I guess this statement is not meant be a good story told, but a 100% honest self-evaluation.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 am

Don't embellish the truth. There is value in being able to appreciate & learn from a distance.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Marionberry » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 am

You're telling the story in a manner intended to convey to the reader that your relationship with this person was different than it actually was. Is this accurate?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 pm

This sounds a lot like my PS:

"I was friends with Kurt Cobain..."

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Which is much better than: "I used to be Kurt Cobain."

arean.ryan
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Marionberry wrote:You're telling the story in a manner intended to convey to the reader that your relationship with this person was different than it actually was. Is this accurate?


My relationship with this person was exactly as I plan to convey it. What I originally planned was to embellish the manner in which his passing affected my decision making in life (it did, but only somewhat)...which is what I meant by helping me personify the point of my paper. Obviously if I am saying my relationship was different than it actually was I would be clearly being dishonest.

Structurally
Friend Passing->Emphasized desire to be in law, but did not create it.

Anyway, I plan how telling it exactly how it is and not embellish for the sake of making a memorable story/ps.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Pip
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Pip » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:38 pm

You are applying to law school.

The difference between being guilty of a crime and being convicted is what can be proven.

Say what it takes to get what you want as long as there is no way for the person your selling the story to to discover any factual errors.

In other words lie like a dog so long as there is no chance of being caught, others will.

Ask yourself... would you rather be the person that was honest and got penalized for it by not getting in, or the person that was dishonest and got in.... you can be all goody goody when you retire.

jdhonest
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby jdhonest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Pip wrote:You are applying to law school.

The difference between being guilty of a crime and being convicted is what can be proven.

Say what it takes to get what you want as long as there is no way for the person your selling the story to to discover any factual errors.

In other words lie like a dog so long as there is no chance of being caught, others will.

Ask yourself... would you rather be the person that was honest and got penalized for it by not getting in, or the person that was dishonest and got in.... you can be all goody goody when you retire.


By "character and fitness" they don't mean violent, talking animals from cartoons and a rope climb...but you are pretty much right.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Marionberry » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Pip wrote:You are applying to law school.

The difference between being guilty of a crime and being convicted is what can be proven.

Say what it takes to get what you want as long as there is no way for the person your selling the story to to discover any factual errors.

In other words lie like a dog so long as there is no chance of being caught, others will.

Ask yourself... would you rather be the person that was honest and got penalized for it by not getting in, or the person that was dishonest and got in.... you can be all goody goody when you retire.


So we'll be seeing your commercials on late night TV in about 20 years then?

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm

arean.ryan wrote:
Marionberry wrote:You're telling the story in a manner intended to convey to the reader that your relationship with this person was different than it actually was. Is this accurate?


My relationship with this person was exactly as I plan to convey it. What I originally planned was to embellish the manner in which his passing affected my decision making in life (it did, but only somewhat)...which is what I meant by helping me personify the point of my paper. Obviously if I am saying my relationship was different than it actually was I would be clearly being dishonest.

Structurally
Friend Passing->Emphasized desire to be in law, but did not create it.

Anyway, I plan how telling it exactly how it is and not embellish for the sake of making a memorable story/ps.

Thanks for the input everyone.


Why don't you just tell the truth? If the story sucks without the embellishment, why not tell another story? Seriously, lying about why what/who motivated you to become a lawyer?

J.Straw from Wichita
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby J.Straw from Wichita » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:22 pm

What do lawyers do when they die?

They lie still.

Come on people, we're all going to law school and therefore hell. Try not to take yourself too seriously. OP, you should embellish that shit. Everyone does it despite what they might admit to themselves.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Embellishment and the Personal Statement

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I can't fucking believe this. OP, your life is that boring that all you have to write about is some acquaintance of yours that died in a drug overdose?




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.