PS vs. DS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
maroonzoon

PS vs. DS

Postby maroonzoon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm

I have a PS and a DS. Everyone I've sent it to says my DS paints a more vivid picture of who I am, that it reads better, and that it's obvious it was easier for me to write, but my PS talks more about my goals in life and law school. Should I just send my DS in as my PS, if I appear more like a person with that?

cinefile 17

Re: PS vs. DS

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Yes, if you think your DS draws clearer picture of who you are and what's important to you, use that as your PS.

maroonzoon

Postby maroonzoon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:37 pm

My concern is that as a splitter, I'm almost certain to have all my materials reviewed closely. If I can paint a more rounded picture of myself with two essays, shouldn't I just submit two essays, even if the PS is not as great as my DS?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Also wondering the same thing..

esq

Postby esq » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 pm

I don't think that this should be a large dilemma. Simply submit your PS and DS to schools that allow it, and to schools that only allow a PS, submit your DS as your PS. It might take a bit of time to form a version of your DS into a solid PS - possibly creating a hybrid of the two - but if your DS paints a better picture, that is how I would tackle the situation. And as far as they say, adcoms will review both just as thoroughly, which is a plus for you.

ps. I hope that by throwing DS and PS out there so much in this statement I didn't confuse you - it could certainly make for a good tongue twister :D

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”