Concerns over "Why X"

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Concerns over "Why X"

Postby RCG37 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Eek. To write "why X law school" addendum or not to write one? And a few more concerns about these pesky things...

I am allowed to write "Why X" to more than one school, correct? I just read something on TLS that said to be careful about saying "if accepted I will attend" in a PS, but isn't that essentially what a "Why X" addendum is?

I'm on the borderline at my top choices and was planning on doing a "Why X" for about 4 of them to push me over the I'm thinking I shouldn't do one at all?

By the way, the schools I am considering doing "Why X's" for are:

And as far as berkeley goes should I write a "Why X" or just include it in the longer space they allow for the PS??

Re: Concerns over "Why X"

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I would say write "Why X?" essays to (super) reaches and to schools where you want to avoid YP.

As for your questions, you can write more than one. Who cares if they take it as "if I get admitted I will attend"? (Hint: they won't take it that way, they probably won't care at all).

Re: Concerns over "Why X"

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:51 pm

it has been, admittedly, some time since i applied, but where has this 'why x' 'creation' come from? when i applied, penn was the only school that asked 'why?' i see the argument for YP, but i feel like doing this for all other schools this is sort of a TLS creation. i personally would not write one unless the application asks for it, or you feel you are in a severe YP situation. addendums are designed to give someone the ability to explain a certain personal situation that may have affected their past grades/a blank spot in their transcript, etc., and not, in my mind, an opportunity for you to plead your case about why you want that school so badly

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”