Personal Statemenst targeted toward LA-based schools

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tlc

Personal Statemenst targeted toward LA-based schools

Postby tlc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 am

Specifically for the LA-based schools (i.e. UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, and Loyola), I was planning on writing distinct personal statements. Although each PS would bring out my personal character and the whole "Why law school/Why a lawyer" argument, I was thinking that highlighting specific reasons why I would want to go to that particular school would be a good idea. Here's how I was thinking it should be broken down:

UCLA: My dad went there for Med school, my mom went there for UG, and my brother is currently in the Med school (he went there UG too). Also, my dad has been an alumni ever since graduating (this might not be too significant considering their paltry alumni fees). I'm thinking that touching on the "legacy student" point would probably be the best bet. Since making this connection would be pretty easy, should this take up a big chunk of the PS?

USC: My dad went here for UG. However, we moved, and I guess USC lost track of us since he hasn't received any mail from there for decades. Needless to say, he hasn't been an active contributor to USC in decades. Could I still use the "legacy student" argument here?

Pepperdine/Loyola: Because of their historically religious roots, I was thinking about writing about my own religious background, how I am currently very dedicated to my church, etc. Then, given the fact that I'm very religious, I would go into how I thought that the school's environment and approach to law would be very conducive to my beliefs and character. (Of the two schools, I think Pepperdine boasts more on their conservative/Christian approach to teaching law. Correct?)

Is this a good approach to take? Comments? Suggestions? Critiques?

Knock

Re: Personal Statemenst targeted toward LA-based schools

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I would focus more on making your personal statement about you, and selling yourself, rather than promoting ties to schools. And it isn't necessary to say why law or why a lawyer, so don't feel obligated.

And you won't see any legacy boosts most likely, especially since none of your relatives are graduates of those schools' law schools. Some, like your dad was a UG at USC is a weak connection at best, and I don't think it would make for a good essay.

tlc

Postby tlc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 am

Ok. Thanks! 8)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:49 am

If you don't make the PS about you that is a giant red flag. It says that you are not really a fully independent person.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”