PS Help: Round 2 Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
alexost

New

PS Help: Round 2

Post by alexost » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 pm

/
Last edited by alexost on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haydee

New

Re: PS Help: Round 2

Post by haydee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:38 pm

I thought the general arc of your essay worked well, but I found some of your language to be a little distracting. Phrases like "melancholy occasion" or "critical piece of guidance" distance you from your topic. Having a strong vocabulary is great, but being able to write clearly, directly, and sincerely is better. I might also eliminate some of the modifiers, like "very" or "extremely"; they actually kind of take the wind out of your sails. You've definitely got something to say here, but I think part of your message is getting lost in 25 cent words and convoluted sentence structures.

alexost

New

Re: PS Help: Round 2

Post by alexost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm

haydee wrote:I thought the general arc of your essay worked well, but I found some of your language to be a little distracting. Phrases like "melancholy occasion" or "critical piece of guidance" distance you from your topic. Having a strong vocabulary is great, but being able to write clearly, directly, and sincerely is better. I might also eliminate some of the modifiers, like "very" or "extremely"; they actually kind of take the wind out of your sails. You've definitely got something to say here, but I think part of your message is getting lost in 25 cent words and convoluted sentence structures.
Thank you. I will edit with your advice in mind.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”