Can You Say "If Admitted, I will Attend" ????

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
username99

Can You Say "If Admitted, I will Attend" ????

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 pm

If there is a school (or 2) that you really want to go to, can you say "I will attend if I am accepted." Is that proper etiquette?

Grizz

Re: Can You Say "If Admitted, I will Attend" ????

Postby Grizz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Not worth anything without ED, unless, of course, the school doesn't have ED.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm

1) ED is the only useful way to say this.

2) If you said something like that, you'd better have only said it to one school. Otherwise you could be in a heap of trouble.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm thinking for GW. I want to go and get in and the only ED they have is the complete scholarship. I'd love to get this scholarship, but I have no shot.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:21 pm

If it's not ED I don't think they will really care.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:25 pm

If there's no ED option and you absolutely must, must, must express this burning desire, add a supplementary statement and explain why (briefly). Even still, I wouldn't do this unless I had a very concrete reason backing up my assurances, like a spouse starting a grad program at the same school or a sick parent for whom I was responsible.
Last edited by teaadntoast on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:28 pm

username99 wrote:If there is a school (or 2) that you really want to go to, can you say "I will attend if I am accepted." Is that proper etiquette?

If you wouldn't attend a school if you were accepted, why would you even apply?

My answer is that you shouldn't do this.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Nothing wrong with saying this. I said it to Michigan multiple times, both in my application (which was ED) and LOCIs. Didn't get in, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to say it if you're borderline and you're sure you wanna go. But don't lie to them.
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senunit

Postby senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Is that not the purpose of an LOCI? I mean you are ultimately attempting to reassure the school that they have a committed applicant, and that can be done by making that statement. Now I don't know what context the OP plans to use this statement, so the choice to mention LOCI's may not even be relevant. I do agree however with a poster above, that regardless of context, if you are making such a claim there should be some backing to it.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I was going to mention it in a personal statement and then send a Why X statement discussing the reasons it is my top choice. No?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:50 pm

username99 wrote:I was going to mention it in a personal statement and then send a Why X statement discussing the reasons it is my top choice. No?

Perfectly acceptable. No need to mention it in the personal statement, but it is totally kosher.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
username99 wrote:I was going to mention it in a personal statement and then send a Why X statement discussing the reasons it is my top choice. No?

Perfectly acceptable. No need to mention it in the personal statement, but it is totally kosher.

Thanks! Is Romo really the savior?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:53 pm

username99 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes. And Miles Austin is the Holy Spirit.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
username99 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You, sir, are tragically misguided.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

username99 wrote:
You, sir, are tragically misguided.

I am going to a non-T14, so yes, that's probably true.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm

where are you going?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:00 pm

username99 wrote:where are you going?

WUSTL.

(I only kid... I love my school. I just engage in a lot of self-deprecating humor.)

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
username99 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes. And Miles Austin Demarcus Ware is the Holy Spirit.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 pm

I think it might be counterproductive in some sense. If your numbers are borderline, you are probably setting yourself up for a long WL ride. Law schools, just like law applicants, generally go after 'reaches'. "Sure things" are more likely to end up in their back pocket.

senunit

Postby senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah, seems like not really worthwhile in a PS, considering the length restrictions and the much more valuable information you can put in to fill the space. At that point, they are fairly certain that your application is a good indication that you are relatively interested. On the other hand, some schools have a separate optional/mandatory request for a "Why X school?" statement, in which case that would be totally appropriate and potentially beneficial. But, like romo said I think its fine to do so, just for me it wouldn't make much sense.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:
username99 wrote:Thanks! Is Romo really the savior?

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 pm

General Tso wrote:I think it might be counterproductive in some sense. If your numbers are borderline, you are probably setting yourself up for a long WL ride. Law schools, just like law applicants, generally go after 'reaches'. "Sure things" are more likely to end up in their back pocket.

No idea what you are trying to say here. I understand each sentence on its own, but I am confused as to how they work together to form an argument.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
General Tso wrote:I think it might be counterproductive in some sense. If your numbers are borderline, you are probably setting yourself up for a long WL ride. Law schools, just like law applicants, generally go after 'reaches'. "Sure things" are more likely to end up in their back pocket.

No idea what you are trying to say here. I understand each sentence on its own, but I am confused as to how they work together to form an argument.

Dude don't be a numbskull. If you make yourself a "sure thing" by saying "if Admitted, I will Attend," and if "your numbers are borderline", then you are more likely to be placed on the "waiting list."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 pm

General Tso wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Dude don't be a numbskull. If you make yourself a "sure thing" by saying "if Admitted, I will Attend," and if "your numbers are borderline", then you are more likely to be placed on the "waiting list."

I "don't know" why you feel the need to "use a lot of quotes" when you are "telling me this," but your argument is "unsound" at best.

A school isn't going to waitlist someone just because they say they want to go there. In all likelihood, they would have been waitlisted either way based on their numbers.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 pm

During regular decision, you should ED if you know you want to attend a particular school. If you don't or if that school doesn't offer ED, then you should really just submit a strong, concrete "Why X" essay. Period. However, promising to attend is a great idea when you are on the waitlist. It doesn't always work, but if a WL spot does become available, that's when adcomms are concerned about making sure they admit someone who will attend. So that's when you should be asking this question.

Here's the bottom line...if the school is interested in you, then they're not going to deny you. And if you express strong, concrete interest and they WL you, then it wasn't because they didn't think you were interested enough. But once you're on that WL, there is no earthly reason to restrain your enthusiasm.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”