Do we title our personal statements?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
poo

Do we title our personal statements?

Postby poo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

I searched around and couldn't find an answer. My guess is no but I'm not sure.

Hannibal

Re: Do we title our personal statements?

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 pm

I was wondering this too.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:02 pm

I won't be. I will put a label in the header noting "Personal Statement" because I am not sure exactly how the documents get transmitted from LSAC.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Hannibal wrote:I was wondering this too.

I think you can, but it's not necessary. I probably won't. PS is valuable real estate, and I want every last inch of the 2 pages I can get.

/leaves door open to be incorrect.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:04 pm

bk1 wrote:I won't be. I will put a label in the header noting "Personal Statement" because I am not sure exactly how the documents get transmitted from LSAC.

You also need to put your last name and LSAC# on the header of every page of your PS (and DS).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Knockglock wrote:
bk1 wrote:I won't be. I will put a label in the header noting "Personal Statement" because I am not sure exactly how the documents get transmitted from LSAC.

You also need to put your last name and LSAC# on the header of every page of your PS (and DS).

Already done that. I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious. I'm actually putting it in the header of all spare documents, except possibly resume.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Already done that. I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious. I'm actually putting it in the header of all spare documents, except possibly resume.

Hmm that's a good question, should we put it on our resume? We have our names on it anyways.

I've been having a header problem though, it cuts off a line of writing area, and pushes my DS one line into the second page. I use open office. Any ideas how to fix this?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Knockglock wrote:Hmm that's a good question, should we put it on our resume? We have our names on it anyways.

I've been having a header problem though, it cuts off a line of writing area, and pushes my DS one line into the second page. I use open office. Any ideas how to fix this?

Haven't used open office in a while so I can't help you there. I don't think it's necessary because the name obviously identifies the resume whereas the worry, I think, is that unidentified statements may be lost from the application packet and not find their way back.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm going to be doing:

Header Top Left-

John M. Doe
LSAC #
Personal Statement

John M. Doe
LSAC #
Addendum

and

John M. Doe
LSAC #
(blank for resume, it's pretty fu***ng obvious that it's my resume...)

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 pm

No, you do not title your personal statement. I was told by multiple people in the know that it is a bad idea. All you put is a header with the appropriate info, and the indication that the document is indeed your personal statement. No title.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Apparently it was not obvious because I didn't have a header. Now I do, and my PS is a line too long. Curses. I'm using open office too.

I'm doing my header as one line, top right, in italics: Personal statement, John Doe, LXXXXXXX

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm

If it is in the top margin it shouldn't be affecting the body of your PS?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 pm

bk1 wrote:If it is in the top margin it shouldn't be affecting the body of your PS?

Idk, it's weird, that's what I thought. Maybe it's an Open Office thing?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Can you shrink the top margin to offset it so that it looks as if you had put it in the top margin with the body in the right place?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:Apparently it was not obvious because I didn't have a header. Now I do, and my PS is a line too long. Curses. I'm using open office too.

I'm doing my header as one line, top right, in italics: Personal statement, John Doe, LXXXXXXX

I like this format... /stolen

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm

dakatz wrote:No, you do not title your personal statement. I was told by multiple people in the know that it is a bad idea. All you put is a header with the appropriate info, and the indication that the document is indeed your personal statement. No title.

+1

Header:
Yes - Name, LSAC #, Personal Statement

No- "How I overcame sixteen felony convictions to become a Rhodes scholar" "The day I knew I wanted to become a Supreme Court Justice"...ect.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Only in cases where this title is appropriate: "Why your law school is named after my family".

poo

Postby poo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Only in cases where this title is appropriate: "Why your law school is named after my family".

That actually made me laugh....

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”