professional editing

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
deew

professional editing

Postby deew » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:51 am

i am interested in having my personal statement edited professionally. which service is the best for this? this website states revision editing and essay edge as two good services. has anyone used them and if so what is your opinion of them? thanks

jay115

Re: professional editing

Postby jay115 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 am

deew wrote:i am interested in having my personal statement edited professionally. which service is the best for this? this website states revision editing and essay edge as two good services. has anyone used them and if so what is your opinion of them? thanks

If your school has a "pre-law" advisor/dean, make them edit it. My UG charged 50k/year and I'm pretty sure the dean made six figures, so I thought I might as well utilize the resource.

calbears619

Postby calbears619 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:18 am

I have a feeling that most PS editors are hacks

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 am

I used revision editing...and while it read decently it was way too long. She may be familiar with the length requirements now...I don't know. She ended up giving me all of my money back because it took weeks longer than it was supposed to and I ended up not being able to use really anything that she added. Post it on here and have people read it.

I would NOT have a pre-law adviser read them. Many are idiots who don't at all know what law schools want. People on here know what the dean's have stated that like and don't like.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 pm

blowhard wrote:I used revision editing...and while it read decently it was way too long. She may be familiar with the length requirements now...I don't know. She ended up giving me all of my money back because it took weeks longer than it was supposed to and I ended up not being able to use really anything that she added. Post it on here and have people read it.

I would NOT have a pre-law adviser read them. Many are idiots who don't at all know what law schools want. People on here know what the dean's have stated that like and don't like.

Like most advice on TLS, I think yours is overbroad. My pre-law advisor was very helpful in narrowing my topic, focusing my essay, and general editing assistance. She must have read 15 drafts, and I remember at least 3 admissions peeps referencing specific aspects of my personal statement when informing me of my acceptance.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30 am

jay115 wrote:
blowhard wrote:I used revision editing...and while it read decently it was way too long. She may be familiar with the length requirements now...I don't know. She ended up giving me all of my money back because it took weeks longer than it was supposed to and I ended up not being able to use really anything that she added. Post it on here and have people read it.

Like most advice on TLS, I think yours is overbroad. My pre-law advisor was very helpful in narrowing my topic, focusing my essay, and general editing assistance. She must have read 15 drafts, and I remember at least 3 admissions peeps referencing specific aspects of my personal statement when informing me of my acceptance.

Yeah, but he should be cautious. My pre-law guy didn't know what he was talking about at all. I would have never let him have input on my apps. I felt sorry for people who took his word srsly.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”