A Controversial Topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
crescendo

A Controversial Topic?

Postby crescendo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here - please forgive me if this topic has been discussed a lot already.

I will be a junior in college this fall and want to start thinking about my personal statement for when I apply to law school next fall. It is my understanding that you should avoid controversial political or religious topics in your PS. However, I want to do public interest, and I am extremely interested in reproductive rights. It's my "thing" - I volunteer at Planned Parenthood and am currently working at my internship to expand access to sexual and reproductive healthcare among teenagers in NYC. Abortion is about the most controversial topic out there, but it's one of the most important reasons I want to go to law school. So should I attempt it in my PS or pick something else to write about?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer.

bk1

Re: A Controversial Topic?

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:13 pm

I don't think many AdComms consider abortion controversial (minus Liberty/Regent). :P

crescendo

Postby crescendo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't think many AdComms consider abortion controversial (minus Liberty/Regent). :P

I wouldn't think so either, but then what would be considered too controversial to write about?

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I am extremely interested in reproductive rights. It's my "thing"

If this is any preview of your entire ps, I say go for it.

crescendo

Postby crescendo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Nightrunner wrote:The controversy would be in your presentation.

If you are asking, "hey, can I tell them about my passion for something, and how this passion (and the experiences I have already accrued in it) inform my goals?" Yes.

If you are asking, "do you think any admissions committee people would like to read a prolonged statement about my beliefs on abortion?" No.

Okay, great. That's what I had assumed, but I started getting nervous after reading so many "Do NOT write about controversial topics" warnings around the net :P

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm

The topic is appropriate if the presentation is done in a manner showing respect for different perspectives. An opportunity to showcase your passion, maturity, insight and diplomatic skills in addressing a sensitive topic.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 pm

It's all in how you frame it.
Uncontroversial: "I am in favor of reproductive choice, and I think everybody should have not only the right, but the opportunity to choose."
Controversial: "KILLIN' FETUSES ALL DAY LONG FUN FUN FUN."

crescendo

Postby crescendo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks, everyone! I will probably be back in a month or two with a rough draft :)

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 am

rynabrius wrote:Controversial: "KILLIN' FETUSES ALL DAY LONG FUN FUN FUN."

That made me lol........ :mrgreen:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:39 am

FWIW, I wrote about my leadership activities in a national pro-choice group in my PS to Notre Dame and got in with a scholarship. This taught me that it really is all about numbers or, as long as you're classy about your PS topic, you should be fine.

Pip

Postby Pip » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm

You realize that your essay is supposed to provide a reason for them to accept you not reject you. Writing on something like that would be stupid. Even if you were applying to the most liberal school in the world there is a chance that the person reading your essay will be offended and you will suffer for it. Opinions are fine and we all have them, but for God's sake don't tell the world if it can kick you in the backside.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Pip wrote:You realize that your essay is supposed to provide a reason for them to accept you not reject you. Writing on something like that would be stupid. Even if you were applying to the most liberal school in the world there is a chance that the person reading your essay will be offended and you will suffer for it. Opinions are fine and we all have them, but for God's sake don't tell the world if it can kick you in the backside.

Ignore this, it doesn't pertain to your topic as long as you write it well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”