Penn 5 year plan, please help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dabbadon8

Penn 5 year plan, please help

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:15 pm

This is my first try at this. I haven't really seen any examples. Let me know what you think. Prompt is "How will your legal education and professional development at Penn Law support your five year plan upon graduation?"

In the five years following graduation I intend to pursue a career in public interest that will allow me to utilize my background in psychology. As a result of my undergraduate studies and my internship experience, I have become especially interested in mental health law. I hope to start my career with a non-profit organization, such as the Bazelon Center, that specializes in mental health advocacy through policy and litigation. Penn offers a distinctive collection of programs and opportunities that will support my career and life goals.

I believe that studying under professors Stephen Morse and Anita Allen, preeminent scholars in psychology, law, and mental health law in particular, would provide me skills and experience that would be invaluable assets in achieving a career that involves multiple areas expertise. In addition, Penn’s cross-disciplinary approach is a perfect fit for my career goals. The health law program and the ability to earn Certificate of Study in Cross-Sector Innovation are particularly advantageous to my five-year plan.

I am also interested in participating in Penn’s unique Legislative Clinic. The hands-on experience with legislative lawyering will provide me a tangible advantage in obtaining the competitive public interest positions I plan on pursuing. The ability to practice and network in Washington D.C., my desired market, are distinct advantages that Penn’s Legislative Clinic offers. Penn’s Toll Public Interest Center offers further opportunities for first hand experience in the public interest field through pro bono work that will help me develop the analytical and legal writing skills necessary for high level mental health advocacy. Moreover, Penn’s national reputation and rich tradition of pro bono work assure me that all projects done through the Toll Public Interest Center will be viewed in the best possible light by prospective employers.

The education and opportunities offered by Penn will provide me with the legal skills and experience necessary to achieve a successful career in public interest. Attending Penn Law is the first and most crucial step in reaching the goals I have set for myself over the next five years.
Last edited by dabbadon8 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8

Re: Penn 5 year plan, please help

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:46 pm

any help would be greatly appreciated...

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Try to use the word "work" less.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

rynabrius wrote:Try to use the word "work" less.

Edited, didn't realize that I used it so much. Thanks for the feed back.

Any other advice?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Any other help would be really useful, I haven't seen any examples of these so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”