a little over two pages ok? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
unattended bag

New

a little over two pages ok?

Post by unattended bag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:21 pm

My personal statement has 3 lines on the third page. Is this a problem? I feel like I've cut out everything I possibly can.

Knock

Platinum

Re: a little over two pages ok?

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm

unattended bag wrote:My personal statement has 3 lines on the third page. Is this a problem? I feel like I've cut out everything I possibly can.
It is a problem, cut it down to two pages.

Edit: If you can't figure out where to cut out three lines, post it in the PS forum and ask for help. I'm sure someone will be able to help you tighten it up a bit.
Last edited by Knock on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Make damn sure you follow all instructions in the materials you send in. I don't care what you wrote in those 3 lines, it will not outweigh the fact that if you send it in they will know you are incapable of following an extremely basic instruction.

unattended bag

New

Post by unattended bag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Gotcha. Do I need to put anything at the top of the page, or can I just start typing the statement on the top line?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 pm

unattended bag wrote:Gotcha. Do I need to put anything at the top of the page, or can I just start typing the statement on the top line?
Put "Personal Statement" at the top, and your last name and LSAC # in the upper right hand corner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 pm

A lot of schools are OK with anything double spaced and up to three pages, it will only be a problem with schools such as UCLA that have a 12pt font 2pg (aprox 700wrds) limit.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

esq wrote:A lot of schools are OK with anything double spaced and up to three pages, it will only be a problem with schools such as UCLA that have a 12pt font 2pg (aprox 700wrds) limit.
Ehh, lots of schools have 2 page limits: --LinkRemoved--.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:
esq wrote:A lot of schools are OK with anything double spaced and up to three pages, it will only be a problem with schools such as UCLA that have a 12pt font 2pg (aprox 700wrds) limit.
You're right. Guess I have only hit two schools in that category so far, UT & UCLA. Great link too, thanks.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Don't go over at all. 3 lines on one page would look stupid anyhow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:46 pm

esq wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
You're right. Guess I have only hit two schools in that category so far, UT & UCLA. Great link too, thanks.
NP. After looking it over, it seems that some schools word it as "about two pages" or "try to limit to two pages." So i'm not sure if that's a hard cut off, I think I would keep it under two pages no matter what. They have to read thousands of these, no one is so special in their eyes that they need more than 2 pages to write their PS.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Knockglock wrote:
esq wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
NP. After looking it over, it seems that some schools word it as "about two pages" or "try to limit to two pages." So i'm not sure if that's a hard cut off, I think I would keep it under two pages no matter what. They have to read thousands of these, no one is so special in their eyes that they need more than 2 pages to write their PS.
Regardless, three lines on the last page reeks of poor editing. You can always cut enough to get rid of three lines.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

blowhard wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
esq wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Ehh, lots of schools have 2 page limits: --LinkRemoved--.
Regardless, three lines on the last page reeks of poor editing. You can always cut enough to get rid of three lines.
I agree, as I said in the above post, in the eyes of adcomms, who read thousands of these, no one is so special they need more than 2 pages to write their PS.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 pm

I'll agree with that one. I've made sure that with my 3pg PS' the only thing on the third page is a clear why _______ law school paragraph, but three sentences from a paragraph that couldn't fit is kinda tacky.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 pm

blowhard wrote:Regardless, three lines on the last page reeks of poor editing. You can always cut enough to get rid of three lines.
Not only that, but most people's writing (including my own) gets better if you throw out like half the piece.

unattended bag

New

Post by unattended bag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll find a way to cut it down. And thanks for that link KnockGlock

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:25 pm

You're all crazy. Mine was a bit longer and it made zero difference.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 pm

kmap wrote:You're all crazy. Mine was a bit longer and it made zero difference.
Personally, I think it's about risk-management here. Do you think the reward of including 3 additional sentences is worth the reward of those 3 additional sentences? I don't think it's even close. Follow directions to a T, you don't want to stick out in adcomms minds for not doing so.

I guarantee you can pare down 3 lines and it won't make your essay even a single degree worse. You might even make it better by tightening it up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:09 am

Knockglock wrote:
Personally, I think it's about risk-management here. Do you think the reward of including 3 additional sentences is worth the reward of those 3 additional sentences? I don't think it's even close. Follow directions to a T, you don't want to stick out in adcomms minds for not doing so.

I guarantee you can pare down 3 lines and it won't make your essay even a single degree worse. You might even make it better by tightening it up.
I think we all need to apply to liberal dose of common sense here. The 2-page limit isn't designed to test your anal-retentiveness; it's a handy way for them to keep people from sending them 300 pages of autobiographical drivel. It's not like if you use an extra 2 lines they're going to pitch your entire application in the trash bin. Everybody needs to stop being so literal!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:20 am

kmap wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I think we all need to apply to liberal dose of common sense here. The 2-page limit isn't designed to test your anal-retentiveness; it's a handy way for them to keep people from sending them 300 pages of autobiographical drivel. It's not like if you use an extra 2 lines they're going to pitch your entire application in the trash bin. Everybody needs to stop being so literal!
Yeah, but I think 99% of the time you can cut out 2 lines without having it affect the strength of your essay. One of the schools necessary for the legal profession is conciseness. There's a difference between 2.2 pages with .2 pages of fluff, and there's another with 2.2 pages of absolutely tight, concise writing, where nothing can be taking out with weakening the essay.

Plus, if you think about it in risk/reward terms, is it really worth the extra risk. I doubt those 2 lines are what makes your essay.

Edit: I kind of think of it as a respect/humility issue. Adcomms read thousands of these. Do I really think I am so much more special thank everyone else that my story is so unique that I need to have a longer essay than anyone else? Most people don't need to go over 2 pages. There are definitely exceptions, but for the majority 2 pages is sufficient. Respect the adcomms time -- you want them to read and pay attention to every word so stay within their suggested limits. Plus, i'm sure schools' thoughts on the issue vary from school to school, and you can't really know which ones are okay and which ones treat a polite suggestion as something a little bit stronger.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:28 am

kmap wrote:I think we all need to apply to liberal dose of common sense here. The 2-page limit isn't designed to test your anal-retentiveness; it's a handy way for them to keep people from sending them 300 pages of autobiographical drivel. It's not like if you use an extra 2 lines they're going to pitch your entire application in the trash bin. Everybody needs to stop being so literal!
It's also a way to measure how well you follow basic directions. If a school wants two pages and you give them more than two pages, that conveys to them that you don't respect the instructions. Even if they don't just pitch your application in the trash bin, you're still giving them something negative about you that's easily avoided by just editing down your PS. Given how competitive law school admissions are, common sense tells you that sticking within 2 pages is the correct response.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 am

vanwinkle wrote:
kmap wrote:I think we all need to apply to liberal dose of common sense here. The 2-page limit isn't designed to test your anal-retentiveness; it's a handy way for them to keep people from sending them 300 pages of autobiographical drivel. It's not like if you use an extra 2 lines they're going to pitch your entire application in the trash bin. Everybody needs to stop being so literal!
It's also a way to measure how well you follow basic directions. If a school wants two pages and you give them more than two pages, that conveys to them that you don't respect the instructions. Even if they don't just pitch your application in the trash bin, you're still giving them something negative about you that's easily avoided by just editing down your PS. Given how competitive law school admissions are, common sense tells you that sticking within 2 pages is the correct response.
This.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”