Sample Yale 250 Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dbt

Silver

Sample Yale 250

Post by dbt » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey. So I know the application cycle is coming up and when I was applying to Yale I definitely wanted to see more 250s just as an example of what was successful. I ended up only finding one on LSD. Anyways, I was just admitted as a transfer so I figured I'd post my 250 for future applicants to consider. It took me about an hour to write, but I was very happy with it and I felt like it was an extension of the rest of my application. Good luck to all, and others should feel free to post their 250s in this thread too.

---------------------------------------------------

Often law is the embodiment of moral judgments. Yet members of the legal community understand that persuasion drives law, and that such persuasion may incorporate normative arguments: the world is X, but it should be Y. What power members of the legal community possess! How can I be sure that the position for which I advocate, the position which may upset the moral status quo, is the right position? How can I know that the world really should be Y?

Plato posited the existence of two worlds. The eternal contains the unchanging Forms, and the sensible contains the particulars that mimic the Forms. The various Forms include not only physical objects like the Chair, but also ethical concepts such as Justice and the Good. It is through interaction with the sensible world that we come to better understand the everlasting Forms. Perception, argumentation, and judgment lead us to realize ethical concepts.

But the forms remain intricately connected. To fully understand one requires understanding them all. None short of the omniscient is capable of such a feat. So, while we can seek a greater understanding of ethical concepts, there is room for relativistic reasoning. The world may reject torture with near unanimity, yet other ethical differences remain.

Should the world be Y? I would like to say that I don't know. But I do know that I can count on legal actors to do their part in advocating their positions, and that humanity will continue to seek out the truth.

ConLawLover

New

Re: Sample Yale 250

Post by ConLawLover » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I like it. A lot better than mine, and I was admitted, albeit 3 years ago

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Congrats. You should post it in here as well: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 18&t=68738.

homealone

New

Post by homealone » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Last edited by homealone on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks DBT for the post- very cool and congrats again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”