Resume advice - honor's thesis? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawls

Bronze

Resume advice - honor's thesis?

Post by lawls » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm working on my resume and am having trouble cutting it down to size (forcing into a one-pager). Right now I have 3 items from undergrad, my honor's thesis being the least impressive. I also have an MA thesis and a peer-reviewed publication, so I'm thinking of dropping the honor's thesis mention to make space (I'm a few years out of undergrad).

Is it worth cutting or should I try my best to cut something else out? I really don't think much of it but most advice I've seen is to mention it if you have it--that said, such advice seems geared more to undergrads not in my particular situation. Correct?
Last edited by lawls on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Resume advice - honor's thesis?

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Just include the peer-reviewed publication.

IzziesGal

Silver

Re: Resume advice - honor's thesis?

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 pm

I'd figure out a way to keep this. Obviously your masters thesis trumps an UG thesis, but it does demonstrate a long history of being able to think critically and write lengthy pieces of analysis. Any way you can tweak the margins, play with the font size, list things horizontally instead of vertically, etc?

The horizontally vs. vertically thing would be smtg like this...

Honors: Cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, X Scholarship, X Award
Activities: Club X, Club Y, Club Z
Thesis: Title of Thesis

Don't know if this helps at all!

Edit: I disagree with the previous poster. I think you should keep UG thesis, MA thesis, and peer reviewed pub for law school apps. You'll want to drop the UG thesis and MA thesis on your resume once you get into law school and are searching for a job, but for now, it should stay. This is an academic endeavor, and things like that should stay on your resume for application purposes.

Also - it shows that you didn't just get good grades- you did it while working on a huge research project. It shows more about what type of work ethic you have and how you are able to manage your time.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”