Personal Statement too risky? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Personal Statement too risky?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

I know this is under legal employment topic, but im new to tls and i coudlnt figure out how to do an anonymous post to the law school personal statement topic, so anyways here's my question for you all....

I was wondering what people think about writing a very “personal” personal statement, or if it is too risky. I’d be writing about childhood sexual abuse and also a death of a close friend, and how these two incidents made me re-evaluate my life, fuelled my drive for law/justice etc. do you think that might be too personal to talk about in a personal statement?

I'd make it a point to explain how im not looking for a pity party, but just want to tell them the hardships i have survived though and how that has made me who i am today

Anonymous User

Re: Personal Statement too risky?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 am

So sorry you had to go through all that, but I wouldn't write about any sexual abuse. The death of a friend sounds ok as a topic, but abuse is probably a bit much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=105035

Some more opinions. Hope that helps a bit.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is under legal employment topic, but im new to tls and i coudlnt figure out how to do an anonymous post to the law school personal statement topic
That is because you cannot. The anonymous feature is there to protect people talking about their jobs (because a lot of employers don't like you talking about your jobs, and because it is much easier to "Out" someone when you know where they work.)

It is not present in the other forums, because in general it is good to have people accountable for what they say, even if it is just a virtual identity.
Last edited by Bosque on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Honestly, a lot of people do these kinds of PSs, and sometimes it's hard to distinguish between those who've really had it happen to them and those who are exaggerating. You say, both to us and probably in your PS, that you’re not looking for pity or a boost just because you went through that. But when you focus your paper on that topic you loose credibility on that point. Law school, despite all the other things that could be said about it, is primarily an academic exercise. If you were applying for the most prestigious Ph.D program in physics, let’s say, in the nation, would you focus your PS on what you’ve written about for law school?

Your experiences should be tangential to your philosophical outlook on law. You’re going to have to say more than just, “it created a passion for justice.” Why? What ideas do you bring to the table that are unique and worthy of being tested by the greatest legal minds? Having a terrible experience in life, then turning around and saying, “the law works perfectly and lawyers do a good job” doesn’t really show readers that you would be a valuable asset in a classroom. When you bring to the table a great outlook or philosophy it doesn’t matter if your exaggerating or not (obviously though you shouldn’t exaggerate), because you would be an asset at the school.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Reading my post, I wanted to say: I didn't mean to sound like an ass, I was just trying to explain to you why the anonymous feature is only in this part of the board, and why it is not appropriate for the other sections.

Anyway, in answer to your question: I think the fact that you felt you needed to post this anonymously is pretty indicative that it should not be the subject of your personal statement. I wouldn't write about anything that you would not be comfortable being disclosed publicly. Most law schools say they will keep all of these materials confidential, but there is always the chance some of them could be leaked at some point. If you don't even want this associated with your virtual identity, I think it shouldn't be in a personal statement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 pm

I wrote about my experiences having to pay for my own rape kit, and bullying I faced when the experience came to my hometown's attention BRIEFLY as a springboard for explaining my advocacy work, transfer to a new school and the ultimate strength I grew into due to such things.

I obviously didn't go into detail about my experience, but why should such topics be off-limits? The idea that "you shouldn't because maybe others lie about it" only stems from the idea that sexual assault is something the victim should be ashamed of/or that people lie about such things regularly and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Don't write it just for sympathy. Write it if it you really have a positive reason to bring it up.

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Just make sure to say you're african american in your ps and you'll be fine.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just make sure to say you're african american in your ps and you'll be fine.
This thread being improperly posted and THIS sort of crap that is why the anonymous feature will likely eventually be removed from TLS.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Don't write it just for sympathy. Write it if it you really have a positive reason to bring it up.
This. Adversity only matters if you overcome it. It isn't in and of itself a reason to be admitted to law school. They want someone who is going to be a successful lawyer. Your story could definitely be appropriate and compelling, but only if it is handled as something that shows why you would be a good lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”