newb PS questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

newb PS questions

Postby lpdb185 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 am

i've read a few of these threads and the main thing i gather is that you really need to focus on your strengths and the things that make you above average. so, i don't have some poetic sob story to detail my hardships through life. what i have done is work full time, upwards of 70+ hours a week, as a police officer while taking 15-18hrs/semester throughout the last 2yrs of my undergrad. on top of that, i finished my BA with a 3.85. then, while still working full time as a patrol sergeant, i completed my MS with a 4.0. so my question is, should this be the main focus of my personal statement? i think that juggling the family with demanding work and full time school best demonstrates my dedication and persistence, but i'm not sure if this is what i should talk about or not.

also, the first time i took the lsat i had no time to prepare, took it cold, and scored pretty low (< 150). however, i also made a 17 on the act but managed to finish with a 3.85UGPA and a 4.0 in grad school. should i also highlight this in my personal statement to help defend my low lsat score? i plan on taking it again before applying, but i've never done well with standardized testing. your input is appreciated.

Re: newb PS questions

Postby mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 am

Another time consuming flame? Maybe.

My guess for the ps: yes And no. Don't write about it in te sense that you have on this board. They will be well aware of your workload from seeing your resume, and the ps gives them a chance to see past the numbers and obvious facts. If you use this topic, focus on how it has shaped you as an individual. They want to know who you are and why you are that way. Not just that you have a lifetime movie plot or something.

As for the lsat, include a copy of your act scores in your addendum if you would like. Many admission officers will take this into account. However, with a score less than 150 you can kiss most worthwhile schools goodbye, regardless of this option... Unless you score in the mid to high 150s in which case I'm sure you'll get plenty of nibbles from schools in the top 100, and some in the top 50 maybe.

But this is just an exercise as you are in all likelihood a flameeee...

Postby MURPH » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 am

I doubt he is a flame.
your LSAT score is about 100x more important than your PS. The main objective with the PS is to write a somewhat decent, coherent page or two with no grammar or spelling errors. That way on the off chance that they bother to read it they won't throw it in the trash pile.

With your topic you will want to make it clear that you will not be working while in school. IF you are applying for a part time program make sure you claim that you will be working part time an d not full time/overtime.

I advise you to spend your time proportionally on LSAT prep and PS at the 100:1 ratio. 10 hours of PS writing and editing over the course of a year and 1000 hours of LSAT prep. Take every PT. Use your Powerscore Bibles. Don't move on to the next one until you understand why every single answer choice to every question is either right or wrong. It seems like a lot of work but the payoff is worth it. Any school that accepts you with a 150ish score will give you a scholarship for a score in the 160s. Plus you will have access to many, many more choices of schools. Taking an extra year to prepare is wise. Study/take practive tests for 4 hours per night 5 nights per week instead of working overtime.

Welcome to TLS. Read this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Postby lpdb185 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:05 am

yeah, i meant that this would be the underlying foundation of my statement and not the full substance of it. also, i'm not really looking to get into any big name schools because my family pretty much limits me to a few 3rd and 4th tier schools that are close by. i could probably get into these schools with my current lsat and gpa (or so i'm told), but i would like to defend the low lsat as much as possible to increase my chances of getting accepted (assuming i don't make a 170 on the second attempt :roll: ).

and out of curiosity, why would i be getting flamed? am i missing something?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 am

Yea, but if you score well and apply to those 3rd and 4th tier schools you'll get some really good scholarships.

Study your ass off. You obviously have the motivation and discipline to make your self study 1-4hrs every night after work for a few months. Do this. Get the LSAT books that everyone recommends. Use them. Get more advice in LSAT forum from crazy gunner TLS'ers. Score 165+ and go to school for free.

At 3rd and 4th tier schools, its not about getting in. Anyone can get in. Its about not having to pay for it!

Postby illmaticjones » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 am

Would anyone happen to know if law schools typically stick to the ps requirements from previous years? This is in referance to the # of words, amount of letters to be written, and topics to be discussed. I'm asking this because I would like to start on my ps statments early and most of the schools don't post their application requirements until august.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”