GPA Addendum: murder and being young and stupid

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
PierceFromCT

GPA Addendum: murder and being young and stupid

Postby PierceFromCT » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 pm

I went to a top-20 Undergrad, and was 16 when I started college. My GPA upon graduation was a pathetic 3.26, though I did graduate with Departmental Honors since one of my major GPAs was a 3.9.

Frankly, I just didn't care about my GPA when I was undergrad because I had no plan so going to law school... 5 years later, I changed my mind. Part of the reason I had a low GPA was that I was depressed after my freshman year when there were two murders at my school... a very good friend of mine, a sorority sister, was strangled to death. After that, I started missing a lot of classes. I was able to keep my major GPA for English because classes only met once a week, but I received poor grades in the other classes in which participation was very important.

How should I structure an addendum to address this, without it coming off like a pathetic excuse? I've been working for five years now and have excellent references about my work ethic, plus a high LSAT score.

jayn3

Re: GPA Addendum: murder and being young and stupid

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm

this post is actually a pretty good start. explain why you were depressed, note the large difference between overall and major GPAs, and leave out the "just didn't care" part. it won't magically turn your 3.2 into a 3.9, but it should definitely help.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”