GPA Addendum-Please Critique/Offer Advice!!!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
randomperson

GPA Addendum-Please Critique/Offer Advice!!!

Postby randomperson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:59 pm

So this is a GPA addendum I will submitting this fall when I apply to law schools (I am still in undergrad).

FYI: I have a 3.8 GPA overall and my GPA for the semester in question was a 3.2. I have never dipped below 3.79 for any other semester during my college career.

To Whom It May Concern,

This addendum addresses my academic transcript, specifically my spring 2008 semester. In the early fall of 2007 my father lost his job and was unemployed until November of 2007. At that point he was able to find another job though it paid 20 percent less than his prior one and was very tenuous. My family did not share this news with me until I returned back home from school for winter break that year.

During spring of 2008 my parents told me that there was a very real possibility that I might have to transfer schools because my family could not afford the cost of me attending the X school. Due to this I had to work significantly more than the ____ hours a week I did during the fall. The substantial amount of time I had to devote to working took a steep toll on my grades, especially in my ______ classes which I am usually weaker in. It should be noted that my LSAC GPA without this semester included (the total term GPA excluded) is a 3.94 and my LSAC GPA shows a strong upward trend as I attained a 3.9 GPA during my sophomore and junior years.

MusicNutMeggie

Re: GPA Addendum-Please Critique/Offer Advice!!!

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:41 pm

randomperson wrote:So this is a GPA addendum I will submitting this fall when I apply to law schools (I am still in undergrad).

FYI: I have a 3.8 GPA overall and my GPA for the semester in question was a 3.2. I have never dipped below 3.79 for any other semester during my college career.

To Whom It May Concern,

This addendum addresses my academic transcript, specifically my spring 2008 semester. In the early fall of 2007 my father lost his job and was unemployed until November of 2007, when he found a position with a substantially lower salary. At that point he was able to find another job though it paid 20 percent less than his prior one and was very tenuous. My family did not share this news with me until I returned back home from school for winter break that year.

During In the spring of 2008, my parents told me that there was a very real possibility that I might would have to transfer schools because my family we could not afford the cost of me attending attendance at the X school. Due to this In order to earn money to stay at my school, I had to work significantly more than the ____ hours a week I did during the fall. The substantial amount of time I had to devote to working took a steep serious toll on my grades, especially in my ______ classes which I am usually weaker in. It should be noted that my LSAC GPA without this semester included (the total term GPA excluded) is a 3.94 and my LSAC GPA shows a strong upward trend as I attained a 3.9 GPA during my sophomore and junior years.

Fixed some grammar/word usage issues.

You shouldn't recalculate your GPA for them (since you can't just exclude an entire semester and don't have anything with which to replace it), and they can see an upward trend for themselves. Add a sentence in the end about how you brought your grades back up (i.e., Your dad got another job, you found another way to get money, whatever) and why this won't happen in law school.

HTH-- good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”