HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
IAMGenius

New

HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics!

Post by IAMGenius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I was hoping someone could give me advice on my PS topics. I am am African-American male trying to get into a tier 1 school and my scores are falling around the 25% mark for most of the schools.

1) I want to compare two stories about my life. One is about how my high school football coach told me I wasn't good enough to play football at the D-1 level and that I should try to go to a D-3 school. I set it in my mind to prove him wrong and ended up making the team at a highly ranked D-1 school. I want to blend this story with the story of my life and how as a AA male many people throughout my life have tried to steer me toward taking the easy path, often making comments like "you could never do this or that" or "your not going to make it doing that with your life".

2) My second topic is about how during my sophmore year in college one of my very close cousins went missing in the military for about a year and how that basically ruined my life for that period of time. I went into self-described depression and at times could barely eat. Then lead into how I learned to cope with it and became a better person knowing that "today could be your last day".

3) My last choice is just about the organizations i founded during college and how they led me to wanting a career in law.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if you think none of these would make a good topic and that I should start over. Be honest!

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics!

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Bronze

Re: HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics!

Post by JustDude » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 pm

You are a genuis, why asking.

Anyway.

#1 = good choice, nothing bad. But wait a minute....Could it be a diversity statement?? I mean football is common activity for AA, plus you also reflected there on some doversity topics. Just dont be patronizing.

#2 Could be a good choice. But make sure to display your qualities in that story. Story itself is not of value, but it wil allow you to show a bit of yourself here and there. Write about what was in your head during that time

#3 loses bacause it already sounds like a resume. Yep, make sure to put it in your resume

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”