Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:40 am

I'll start out by saying that I have roughly average LSAT and relatively dismal GPA. Due to embarrassment I can't bring myself to reveal any of these information, but please know that I'm gonna need some amazing softs to take me anywhere. I know there would be people here who would comment on my GPA and tell me I'd have better odds at winning the lottery, but I know I am significantly more than what my GPA says and I want to whatever possible to improve my chances at getting into a decent law school. I want to get into a top 100 school and honestly, I'd have to pass at anything beyond.

I really want an essay to stand out by the adcomms and make some type of an impact so that they won't just instantly toss me into oblivion. I figure I have to take some sort of a risk to be able to do that so that it's not just some essay they've read before. That's where I came up with this essay idea about something major that has happened in my life but the background information that I want to explain that surrounded the whole incident has some pretty risky information that I'm unsure as to whether it's something I should do.

I basically want to include my essay about how I used to be "intolerant" based on my upbringing and parental influence, but the entire essay is dedicated to a specific time in my life where a series of events led to another and allowed me to become tolerant. I think the essay can be built up well to lead to how I came out of this event with a changed outlook and how the incident truly opened my eyes, but at the same time, this was difficult for me to consider since the last thing I want them to generalize is that I was racist.

I really wouldn't take this much of a leap if I even had a weak chance of getting into certain schools I'd like to go to, but once again, I really think I need to somehow stand apart from the pack and at least become memorable (hopefully good memories) so that they'd be able to look beyond just the numbers.

TIA

***EDIT*** I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter. If I'm picturing this right, I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students. In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.
Last edited by lsatextreme on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:00 am

Risky PS are almost always a bad move. A better strategy is :Apply early and apply to many schools.

User avatar
philip.platt
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby philip.platt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 am

lsatextreme wrote:I'll start out by saying that I have roughly average LSAT and relatively dismal GPA. Due to embarrassment I can't bring myself to reveal any of these information, but please know that I'm gonna need some amazing softs to take me anywhere. I know there would be people here who would comment on my GPA and tell me I'd have better odds at winning the lottery, but I know I am significantly more than what my GPA says and I want to whatever possible to improve my chances at getting into a decent law school. I want to get into a top 100 school and honestly, I'd have to pass at anything beyond.

I really want an essay to stand out by the adcomms and make some type of an impact so that they won't just instantly toss me into oblivion. I figure I have to take some sort of a risk to be able to do that so that it's not just some essay they've read before. That's where I came up with this essay idea about something major that has happened in my life but the background information that I want to explain that surrounded the whole incident has some pretty risky information that I'm unsure as to whether it's something I should do.

I basically want to include my essay about how I used to be "intolerant" based on my upbringing and parental influence, but the entire essay is dedicated to a specific time in my life where a series of events led to another and allowed me to become tolerant. I think the essay can be built up well to lead to how I came out of this event with a changed outlook and how the incident truly opened my eyes, but at the same time, this was difficult for me to consider since the last thing I want them to generalize is that I was racist.

I really wouldn't take this much of a leap if I even had a weak chance of getting into certain schools I'd like to go to, but once again, I really think I need to somehow stand apart from the pack and at least become memorable (hopefully good memories) so that they'd be able to look beyond just the numbers.

TIA


a) Work Hard

b) Don't make excuses

c) Work Hard

d) Don't make excuses

e) Numbers don't lie

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:10 am

I believe that this idea COULD be made into a good, strong, PS if it's handled correctly. It has to show maturity, wisdom, and a desire to make up for the mistakes of the past.

That being said, even the best P.S. doesn't seem to alter the fundamental numbers game that is admission. You might squeak in somewhere where you are a marginal candidate, but that seems to be about it.

Also keep in mind that even if you do this P.S. really well it will NOT be a very strong soft. The best it will be is a god solid P.S. that can help you a little bit.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:27 am

The best personal statement and softs in the world are only good enough to get you into a school where you have a marginal chance of admission. GPA and LSAT are the primary predictors of law school success, and if yours are really that bad, then you might want to reconsider your choice of career path. If you are totally dedicated to a career in law, then the obvious solution is to bring up the LSAT.

In addition, was there any adverse event or condition that could explain your low GPA? A good GPA addendum might help somewhat in this case. However, nothing in the world is going to help you if you're rolling with a 148/2.0.

I don't really have a comment on the PS, other than that the point of a personal statement is not to convince the school how different you are as a person. Rather, a personal statement is geared towards convincing the adcomm that you will be a successful law student. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that simply standing out from the crowd is going to be a positive thing.

Image

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 am

You're fucked. Work on improving your LSAT.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for those with helpful advice. Yea I realize that this PS, no matter how well written, could only take me so far, but I just wanted to do its full potential and that's all, no miracles or anything. I always knew how amazing I had to do on the LSAT but after having studied laboriously for the past 6+ months with prep courses and having taken it twice, I realize I'm not destined to be one of those 170+ folks. I am waiting for my June LSAT score (I'm expecting in the low to mid 160s) and yes, I am most likely going to study again. And I will also be applying the day the apps open up, so that should be good to go. As for my shitty GPA, what else am I gonna do besides explain how it on my addendum. I'll just have to accept it and do with the best I've got.

I am now leaning towards shying away from the topic as I keep thinking that it's too much of a risk for the wrong type of risk I should be taking, but I will still keep it in mind for the next couple of days. I'm just not sure if my PS in general should probably touch upon the issue of my GPA either directly/indirectly or if it's best left solely on the addendum.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:16 pm

I would definitely appreciate some more constructive criticism on the actual topic matter itself, from others.

I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter. If I'm picturing this right, I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students. In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Everyone has given you sound advice. There is no personal statement you can write that will compensate for your allegedly terrible GPA.

If you want to compensate for a bad GPA, the best thing you can do is get a great LSAT score. Therefore, instead of wasting your time trying to write some masterpiece personal statement, you should sign up to take the LSAT again and do everything in your power to make sure that you are prepared that day. There's no shortcut around this.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby merichard87 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:21 pm

What kind of GPA are we talking about here? Because if I'm not mistaken you have to have a 2.0 to graduate from college and there have been people who made it to T1 schools with GPAs in the low 2.Xs. Just because its not HYS or CCN or T1 material doesnt mean your GPA is trash. Don't sell yourself short.

P.S. Beast the LSAT

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby DavidYurman85 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:10 pm

if you go with that ps, make sure to get lots of feedback. a risk ps and subpar numbers doesn't sound like the most effective plan.

oh, but to answer your question it sounds as though it could be a compelling topic.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Could be a compelling PS, but still won't make up for a low GPA and LSAT. Retake the LSAT, become a splitter, and then your PS might mean something.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:45 pm

merichard87 wrote:What kind of GPA are we talking about here? Because if I'm not mistaken you have to have a 2.0 to graduate from college and there have been people who made it to T1 schools with GPAs in the low 2.Xs. Just because its not HYS or CCN or T1 material doesnt mean your GPA is trash. Don't sell yourself short.

P.S. Beast the LSAT


my LSDAS gpa is in the low 2.Xs. Yea I mean I'm realistic to the point that I'm pretty much not even going to apply anywhere in the T30, and maybe I'll start from that point forward. A lot hinges on my LSAT score that comes out in 2 weeks but yea, even if that's subpar, I'm afraid I have to study for it again I suppose. But trust me when I say this, I really gave this test my all thus far and I was incredibly disheartened to find that I wasn't scoring close to 170s. I've spent most of my time on TLS in the prep subforum and took a reputable test prep company and have finished the vast majority of prep tests available but it looks like I'm not meant to excel on this test. I refuse to believe that I should give up this dream and pursue some other goal and I'm basically hoping for the best.

As much as it sucks to hear it, is it true that I should probably have a 170+ score if I want to have a chance at anywhere decent?

User avatar
goawaybee
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby goawaybee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Write what you want, I do think if you are splitting hard that is just a tough gap to close.

lsatextreme wrote:I would definitely appreciate some more constructive criticism on the actual topic matter itself, from others.

I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter. If I'm picturing this right, I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students. In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.



Basically I see it like this, OK LSAT/SHIT GPA/Ballsy PS that shows family was racist and this person feels they have grown and want a chance...if was mr./mrs. straight-laced adcomm. person looking for "diversity" in my student body I would stack these chips in the "get to them later" mountain of apps.

I personally feel this is a risky move (example,my parents are neo-nazi types but when I turned 15 I met my first african american and mexican american peers in school...didn't go over well at the dinner table...blah blah blah) Who you are now is a far cry from whomever your parents raised or wanted you to be. Sell you NOW not your history, especially if it is that of intolerance. Just because you are proud of your personal growth and change doesn't mean you need to give everyone the full history of where you came from.

I know you may not be responsible for it but I just don't see it as the strongest move given the rest of your hand. You mention that you will keep away from making statements as to "your old sentiments" but by admitting that they were your old racist/intolerant tendencies isn't really helping your case, playing with fire IMO.

All depends on where you want to go and who the individual is reading the PS. If you want to be judged on who you are now I would focus on other things. Most humans have some cloudy spots in their personal history but sometimes it is just better to let them die. Write a kick ass note in regards to GPA, do your best to try and justify...ie make the reasons as believable/realistic as humanly possible. The two most common personalities will be, "I am a racist/hater why is this person giving up on hating" probably not that common but these creatures exist or on the other hand "This person is nuts, why would they write about such a topic, I really didn't need to know this...now if we accept this student every time I see them I will think "closet racist"

Adcomm. folks are the masters of bullshit, can't bullshit a bullshitter type of folks for the most part. I think given your splitting potential you need to really have some strong support to try and open up some options. Just think you better be a really good writer to pull that one off...why play with fire in the forest when you can sit on the beach and sip on something refreshing kind of approach.

Do your thing though, just my .02

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby JustDude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 am

lsatextreme wrote:I'll start out by saying that I have roughly average LSAT and relatively dismal GPA. Due to embarrassment I can't bring myself to reveal any of these information, but please know that I'm gonna need some amazing softs to take me anywhere. I know there would be people here who would comment on my GPA and tell me I'd have better odds at winning the lottery, but I know I am significantly more than what my GPA says and I want to whatever possible to improve my chances at getting into a decent law school. I want to get into a top 100 school and honestly, I'd have to pass at anything beyond.


I am afraid you would have to pass on LS. T100 is not happening

lsatextreme wrote: I really want an essay to stand out by the adcomms and make some type of an impact so that they won't just instantly toss me into oblivion.

You know. If you show your penis during job interview you will not be tossed into pblivion. Neither you will get a job
lsatextreme wrote:I figure I have to take some sort of a risk to be able to do that so that it's not just some essay they've read before. That's where I came up with this essay idea about something major that has happened in my life but the background information that I want to explain that surrounded the whole incident has some pretty risky information that I'm unsure as to whether it's something I should do.

Flashing your penis is risky business too

lsatextreme wrote:I basically want to include my essay about how I used to be "intolerant" based on my upbringing and parental influence, but the entire essay is dedicated to a specific time in my life where a series of events led to another and allowed me to become tolerant. I think the essay can be built up well to lead to how I came out of this event with a changed outlook and how the incident truly opened my eyes, but at the same time, this was difficult for me to consider since the last thing I want them to generalize is that I was racist.


LOL You are an idiot. So you thought tha colored people are bad. Then you met one who wasnt a complete crap. And you changed your outlook. LOL convincing. You are an awesome person.

lsatextreme wrote:I really wouldn't take this much of a leap if I even had a weak chance of getting into certain schools I'd like to go to, but once again, I really think I need to somehow stand apart from the pack and at least become memorable (hopefully good memories) so that they'd be able to look beyond just the numbers.


You can be serious cn you>>>??? I mean flashing your penis during interview would be memorable too. You will definately stand apart. And may be amaze people. Not so much getting a job though.

lsatextreme wrote:TIA

***EDIT*** I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter.

You are retarded arent you??? How can you show a "change" without showing an old you???
lsatextreme wrote:If I'm picturing this right,

No you dont.
lsatextreme wrote:I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students.

LOL. Massive LOL. LOL. So basically you think that being a racist will compensate for a shitty GPA and LSAT. LOL. LOL.
lsatextreme wrote:In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.

Heh........ See above..

lsatextreme wrote:Thanks for those with helpful advice.

You are welcome h****.

lsatextreme wrote:Yea I realize that this PS, no matter how well written, could only take me so far,

LOL well written?
lsatextreme wrote: but I just wanted to do its full potential and that's all, no miracles or anything.

There will be none
lsatextreme wrote:I always knew how amazing I had to do on the LSAT but after having studied laboriously for the past 6+ months with prep courses and having taken it twice,

Tell us your scores.
lsatextreme wrote:I realize I'm not destined to be one of those 170+ folks.

And when you will realize you are not one of the lawyers types?
lsatextreme wrote:I am waiting for my June LSAT score (I'm expecting in the low to mid 160s) and yes, I am most likely going to study again.

What for?
lsatextreme wrote:And I will also be applying the day the apps open up, so that should be good to go. As for my shitty GPA, what else am I gonna do besides explain how it on my addendum.

Just letting you kow. Addendum across line "I was immature now I am cool: wont work buddy. Its more like for people that have real reasons. Like illness or something.
lsatextreme wrote:I'll just have to accept it and do with the best I've got.


Retail is the best for you.
lsatextreme wrote:my LSDAS gpa is in the low 2.Xs.

LOL Just say 2.1. Well it doesnt really matter anyway.
lsatextreme wrote:Yea I mean I'm realistic to the point that I'm pretty much not even going to apply anywhere in the T30, and maybe I'll start from that point forward.

T30?? T30?/? Playoffs??? Arw you talking about Playoffs??
lsatextreme wrote:A lot hinges on my LSAT score that comes out in 2 weeks but yea, even if that's subpar, I'm afraid I have to study for it again I suppose.

Even???
lsatextreme wrote: But trust me when I say this, I really gave this test my all thus far and I was incredibly disheartened to find that I wasn't scoring close to 170s. I've spent most of my time on TLS in the prep subforum and took a reputable test prep company and have finished the vast majority of prep tests available

Good boy. You did everything right. Reputable test company. LOL. Majority of prep test??? Let me guess. They all came 158+/-5.

lsatextreme wrote:but it looks like I'm not meant to excel on this test.

Think broader. You are not meanto be a lawyer.

lsatextreme wrote:I refuse to believe that I should give up this dream and pursue some other goal and I'm basically hoping for the best.


Refuse as much as you want. Reality is relentless

lsatextreme wrote:As much as it sucks to hear it, is it true that I should probably have a 170+ score if I want to have a chance at anywhere decent?

With your GPA??? Yes. And a decent PS. Not some racist crap.

User avatar
youpiiz
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby youpiiz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:35 am

Image

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby MURPH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 am

Just ignore some of these posters. Retake your LSATs. I know you studied hard but now double down and study harder. even if you did well, Retaking can only help.

I still think my advice above holds. It is much better to apply to a lot of schools rather than write a risky PS. It is just hard to write a risky PS successfully. Apply early too. Rather than write a risky PS try to write a good one for each school. Call the adcoms and ask to interview or have a conversation over the phone. Do this with almost every school you apply to and keep notes about who you spoke to and what you said then mention it in your application.

In the end only your LSAT will make a big difference.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 am

JustDude wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:I'll start out by saying that I have roughly average LSAT and relatively dismal GPA. Due to embarrassment I can't bring myself to reveal any of these information, but please know that I'm gonna need some amazing softs to take me anywhere. I know there would be people here who would comment on my GPA and tell me I'd have better odds at winning the lottery, but I know I am significantly more than what my GPA says and I want to whatever possible to improve my chances at getting into a decent law school. I want to get into a top 100 school and honestly, I'd have to pass at anything beyond.


I am afraid you would have to pass on LS. T100 is not happening

lsatextreme wrote: I really want an essay to stand out by the adcomms and make some type of an impact so that they won't just instantly toss me into oblivion.

You know. If you show your penis during job interview you will not be tossed into pblivion. Neither you will get a job
lsatextreme wrote:I figure I have to take some sort of a risk to be able to do that so that it's not just some essay they've read before. That's where I came up with this essay idea about something major that has happened in my life but the background information that I want to explain that surrounded the whole incident has some pretty risky information that I'm unsure as to whether it's something I should do.

Flashing your penis is risky business too

lsatextreme wrote:I basically want to include my essay about how I used to be "intolerant" based on my upbringing and parental influence, but the entire essay is dedicated to a specific time in my life where a series of events led to another and allowed me to become tolerant. I think the essay can be built up well to lead to how I came out of this event with a changed outlook and how the incident truly opened my eyes, but at the same time, this was difficult for me to consider since the last thing I want them to generalize is that I was racist.


LOL You are an idiot. So you thought tha colored people are bad. Then you met one who wasnt a complete crap. And you changed your outlook. LOL convincing. You are an awesome person.

lsatextreme wrote:I really wouldn't take this much of a leap if I even had a weak chance of getting into certain schools I'd like to go to, but once again, I really think I need to somehow stand apart from the pack and at least become memorable (hopefully good memories) so that they'd be able to look beyond just the numbers.


You can be serious cn you>>>??? I mean flashing your penis during interview would be memorable too. You will definately stand apart. And may be amaze people. Not so much getting a job though.

lsatextreme wrote:TIA

***EDIT*** I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter.

You are retarded arent you??? How can you show a "change" without showing an old you???
lsatextreme wrote:If I'm picturing this right,

No you dont.
lsatextreme wrote:I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students.

LOL. Massive LOL. LOL. So basically you think that being a racist will compensate for a shitty GPA and LSAT. LOL. LOL.
lsatextreme wrote:In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.

Heh........ See above..

lsatextreme wrote:Thanks for those with helpful advice.

You are welcome h****.

lsatextreme wrote:Yea I realize that this PS, no matter how well written, could only take me so far,

LOL well written?
lsatextreme wrote: but I just wanted to do its full potential and that's all, no miracles or anything.

There will be none
lsatextreme wrote:I always knew how amazing I had to do on the LSAT but after having studied laboriously for the past 6+ months with prep courses and having taken it twice,

Tell us your scores.
lsatextreme wrote:I realize I'm not destined to be one of those 170+ folks.

And when you will realize you are not one of the lawyers types?
lsatextreme wrote:I am waiting for my June LSAT score (I'm expecting in the low to mid 160s) and yes, I am most likely going to study again.

What for?
lsatextreme wrote:And I will also be applying the day the apps open up, so that should be good to go. As for my shitty GPA, what else am I gonna do besides explain how it on my addendum.

Just letting you kow. Addendum across line "I was immature now I am cool: wont work buddy. Its more like for people that have real reasons. Like illness or something.
lsatextreme wrote:I'll just have to accept it and do with the best I've got.


Retail is the best for you.
lsatextreme wrote:my LSDAS gpa is in the low 2.Xs.

LOL Just say 2.1. Well it doesnt really matter anyway.
lsatextreme wrote:Yea I mean I'm realistic to the point that I'm pretty much not even going to apply anywhere in the T30, and maybe I'll start from that point forward.

T30?? T30?/? Playoffs??? Arw you talking about Playoffs??
lsatextreme wrote:A lot hinges on my LSAT score that comes out in 2 weeks but yea, even if that's subpar, I'm afraid I have to study for it again I suppose.

Even???
lsatextreme wrote: But trust me when I say this, I really gave this test my all thus far and I was incredibly disheartened to find that I wasn't scoring close to 170s. I've spent most of my time on TLS in the prep subforum and took a reputable test prep company and have finished the vast majority of prep tests available

Good boy. You did everything right. Reputable test company. LOL. Majority of prep test??? Let me guess. They all came 158+/-5.

lsatextreme wrote:but it looks like I'm not meant to excel on this test.

Think broader. You are not meanto be a lawyer.

lsatextreme wrote:I refuse to believe that I should give up this dream and pursue some other goal and I'm basically hoping for the best.


Refuse as much as you want. Reality is relentless

lsatextreme wrote:As much as it sucks to hear it, is it true that I should probably have a 170+ score if I want to have a chance at anywhere decent?

With your GPA??? Yes. And a decent PS. Not some racist crap.


damnnnn what's with the hostility dude? Thanks for the detailed analysis though, I appreciate it. This is somewhat ironic considering you're the same dude who wrote the guide that got me brainstorming about ideas in the first place. It's summer bro, go outside and enjoy yourself with some friends, looks like you're stressed out.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 am

MURPH wrote:Just ignore some of these posters. Retake your LSATs. I know you studied hard but now double down and study harder. even if you did well, Retaking can only help.

I still think my advice above holds. It is much better to appl
y to a lot of schools rather than write a risky PS. It is just hard to write a risky PS successfully. Apply early too. Rather than write a risky PS try to write a good one for each school. Call the adcoms and ask to interview or have a conversation over the phone. Do this with almost every school you apply to and keep notes about who you spoke to and what you said then mention it in your application.

In the end only your LSAT will make a big difference.


Yea that is what I'll have to do. I just felt defeated after studying for this test twice and just imagining how anyone who has to study for this test three times would have to drive them insane. I think I'll at least come up with more PS ideas, I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to go forth with the only one I could think of. I'll definitely consider the tailored approach, but I'm thinking those would have to make some specific connection to each school as to why I'm interested? I was thinking about scattering everywhere across the board but to the ones I'd really like to attend I'll try to do that. Thanks for the advice

ib JustDude's line-by-line analysis of this post

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby a male human » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am

JustDude wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:I'll start out by saying that I have roughly average LSAT and relatively dismal GPA. Due to embarrassment I can't bring myself to reveal any of these information, but please know that I'm gonna need some amazing softs to take me anywhere. I know there would be people here who would comment on my GPA and tell me I'd have better odds at winning the lottery, but I know I am significantly more than what my GPA says and I want to whatever possible to improve my chances at getting into a decent law school. I want to get into a top 100 school and honestly, I'd have to pass at anything beyond.


I am afraid you would have to pass on LS. T100 is not happening

lsatextreme wrote: I really want an essay to stand out by the adcomms and make some type of an impact so that they won't just instantly toss me into oblivion.

You know. If you show your penis during job interview you will not be tossed into pblivion. Neither you will get a job
lsatextreme wrote:I figure I have to take some sort of a risk to be able to do that so that it's not just some essay they've read before. That's where I came up with this essay idea about something major that has happened in my life but the background information that I want to explain that surrounded the whole incident has some pretty risky information that I'm unsure as to whether it's something I should do.

Flashing your penis is risky business too

lsatextreme wrote:I basically want to include my essay about how I used to be "intolerant" based on my upbringing and parental influence, but the entire essay is dedicated to a specific time in my life where a series of events led to another and allowed me to become tolerant. I think the essay can be built up well to lead to how I came out of this event with a changed outlook and how the incident truly opened my eyes, but at the same time, this was difficult for me to consider since the last thing I want them to generalize is that I was racist.


LOL You are an idiot. So you thought tha colored people are bad. Then you met one who wasnt a complete crap. And you changed your outlook. LOL convincing. You are an awesome person.

lsatextreme wrote:I really wouldn't take this much of a leap if I even had a weak chance of getting into certain schools I'd like to go to, but once again, I really think I need to somehow stand apart from the pack and at least become memorable (hopefully good memories) so that they'd be able to look beyond just the numbers.


You can be serious cn you>>>??? I mean flashing your penis during interview would be memorable too. You will definately stand apart. And may be amaze people. Not so much getting a job though.

lsatextreme wrote:TIA

***EDIT*** I would also like to add that I am going to stray as far away from making any definitive statements as to my old sentiments (i.e. racist, intolerant) and centralize more on undergoing change in maturity and wisdom regarding the matter.

You are retarded arent you??? How can you show a "change" without showing an old you???
lsatextreme wrote:If I'm picturing this right,

No you dont.
lsatextreme wrote:I intend on gently and indirectly touching upon the brief history of my upbringing and parental influence and the initial apprehensions when I had been put into the "situation of diversity," and focus the bulk of the PS on the events that led to the cooperation and understanding I had with this mixed group of students.

LOL. Massive LOL. LOL. So basically you think that being a racist will compensate for a shitty GPA and LSAT. LOL. LOL.
lsatextreme wrote:In essence, I want to emphasize the CHANGE and WHO I AM NOW, and have them dwell as little as possible on the required background information of who I used to be.

Heh........ See above..

lsatextreme wrote:Thanks for those with helpful advice.

You are welcome h****.

lsatextreme wrote:Yea I realize that this PS, no matter how well written, could only take me so far,

LOL well written?
lsatextreme wrote: but I just wanted to do its full potential and that's all, no miracles or anything.

There will be none
lsatextreme wrote:I always knew how amazing I had to do on the LSAT but after having studied laboriously for the past 6+ months with prep courses and having taken it twice,

Tell us your scores.
lsatextreme wrote:I realize I'm not destined to be one of those 170+ folks.

And when you will realize you are not one of the lawyers types?
lsatextreme wrote:I am waiting for my June LSAT score (I'm expecting in the low to mid 160s) and yes, I am most likely going to study again.

What for?
lsatextreme wrote:And I will also be applying the day the apps open up, so that should be good to go. As for my shitty GPA, what else am I gonna do besides explain how it on my addendum.

Just letting you kow. Addendum across line "I was immature now I am cool: wont work buddy. Its more like for people that have real reasons. Like illness or something.
lsatextreme wrote:I'll just have to accept it and do with the best I've got.


Retail is the best for you.
lsatextreme wrote:my LSDAS gpa is in the low 2.Xs.

LOL Just say 2.1. Well it doesnt really matter anyway.
lsatextreme wrote:Yea I mean I'm realistic to the point that I'm pretty much not even going to apply anywhere in the T30, and maybe I'll start from that point forward.

T30?? T30?/? Playoffs??? Arw you talking about Playoffs??
lsatextreme wrote:A lot hinges on my LSAT score that comes out in 2 weeks but yea, even if that's subpar, I'm afraid I have to study for it again I suppose.

Even???
lsatextreme wrote: But trust me when I say this, I really gave this test my all thus far and I was incredibly disheartened to find that I wasn't scoring close to 170s. I've spent most of my time on TLS in the prep subforum and took a reputable test prep company and have finished the vast majority of prep tests available

Good boy. You did everything right. Reputable test company. LOL. Majority of prep test??? Let me guess. They all came 158+/-5.

lsatextreme wrote:but it looks like I'm not meant to excel on this test.

Think broader. You are not meanto be a lawyer.

lsatextreme wrote:I refuse to believe that I should give up this dream and pursue some other goal and I'm basically hoping for the best.


Refuse as much as you want. Reality is relentless

lsatextreme wrote:As much as it sucks to hear it, is it true that I should probably have a 170+ score if I want to have a chance at anywhere decent?

With your GPA??? Yes. And a decent PS. Not some racist crap.

u mad

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:51 am

This is the weirdest thread I have EVER seen on TLS.

FTW- risky usually means bad and offensive.

Everyone has weird, strange, screwy families. Otherwise we'd probably just be content to follow in their path.

Be grateful you saw the light but don't tell everyone about your racist/screwy family. If you had such a narrow minded upbringing, I’m sure there are more aspects you can draw one. Ones that can't potentially backfire.

ladyjane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby ladyjane » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:15 pm

I hate to break it to you but if your GPA is that low - and you are not a URM - you probably are going to have a hard time even as a SUPER spliter. It does matter how many times you take the LSAT so do not take it again until you are sure that you can ace it.And really, if this is your third try, schools will just assume you didn't it seriously enough the first time. It cannot be overemphasised that LSAT and GPA are most important. Everything else just seperates the people who already satisfy those two requirements.

You will need to apply early and often.

I don't say this lightly but maybe you should consider another career. You won't get scholarships and lower ranked schools where you may be accepted are likely still going to cost a pretty penny. Even if you want to be a lawyer for the most noble reasons, it is unlikely you will be able to practice what you love because of debt.

Your personal statement is really the least of your problems. As one admissions staffer told me PS "are more likely to hurt you than help in any meaningful way". Stick to playing it safe and make it impeccable.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Cleareyes wrote:I believe that this idea COULD be made into a good, strong, PS if it's handled correctly. It has to show maturity, wisdom, and a desire to make up for the mistakes of the past.

That being said, even the best P.S. doesn't seem to alter the fundamental numbers game that is admission. You might squeak in somewhere where you are a marginal candidate, but that seems to be about it.

Also keep in mind that even if you do this P.S. really well it will NOT be a very strong soft. The best it will be is a god solid P.S. that can help you a little bit.


I'm going to disagree with the last part on a slight basis. One of my friends, a pretty dramatic splitter, applied to the lower half of the T-14 with a fairly stylistically risky PS that everyone he knew, me included, told him wasn't the greatest due to the style, and he got rejected or waitlisted at all of the schools to which he applied, about a dozen ranging from 8-30 in the rankings, except for one of MVP. The school told him his PS was the best PS of the year and gave him a pretty decent scholarship. Obviously this kind of scenario depends on the school in question and at least to some degree on the numbers (he did have an LSAT that was at or above the school's 75th), but after reading that dean-written letter my buddy received, I think there are at least some places out there that really do put the personal statement before the numbers if the PS is exceptionally good or bad.

Regarding the rest of your post I pretty much agree. I don't think this topic is all that risky to begin with. I think we all know at least one or two people who have come out of intolerant or crazily religious households. If it's a fact of your upbringing, and you really have changed for the better, I don't understand how this could possibly be a negative trait of your PS. It's the kind of story adcomms look for -- something that speaks to the applicant's true character.

ladyjane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby ladyjane » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:19 pm

One last thing -

Make sure your PS relates to why you pursuing admission to their law school. It's not a confessional for the sake of showing you're a good person now. It is supposed to show why you want to be a lawyer, how you have proven that in the past and what you are bringing to the school. Personal growth is important but that growth should result is a clear connection to why you think their law school is a fit for you.

"I was bad, now I am good. Also I want to be a lawyer" is not good enough.

psteele99
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Please give me advice on my risky PS topic

Postby psteele99 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:11 pm

The topic is risky, but you have to play with the cards you have been dealt. Also... I would avoid trying to sugar coat too much (ie not directly calling out what the beliefs you used to subscribe to) as it may come across as you rationalizing.... just a thought :)




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.