Other Personal Statement Choices

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jeremychristiansen

Other Personal Statement Choices

Postby jeremychristiansen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 pm

So i posted something about my conservative views. Here are other topics I have considered writing about.

(1) I am 23, married, have a one-year old son, and have another one on the way in December: i.e. that has made for a very interesting undergrad experience
(2) I lived in Argentina for two year as a volunteer missionary. I was in Buenos Aires, and I spent a large portion of the time in Santa Cruz and Tierra del Fuego (where the penguins live). I had lots of really life changing experiences with people very different from me in that country, and the experience was a seriously maturing one.
(3) I have spent the last two years during my undergraduate studies running a program a mentoring program that takes at-risk teens in the community ( a lot of Hispanic youth that I get a long great with because of my experiences in Argentina), and gives them chances to interact positively with college aged mentors, tutors them in homework, and teaches life skills and career exploration. I recruit around 40 volunteer mentors every year, train them and match them with youth. We get around 20-25 kids who have different circumstances in their lives that put them statistically at-risk for "risky" behavior (sexual activity, drugs, gangs, etc) and in an after-school environment try to help em out and have a good time.

Any suggestions?

kalvano

Re: Other Personal Statement Choices

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am

Pick something about you that you are passionate about.

It can be pretty much anything, but you want it to be unique to you. All sound pretty good to write about, but what exactly are you going to say? You're going up against a lot of people who have done similar things. How are you going to set yourself apart?

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 am

I like these ideas all better. They just seem to have more substance than writing solely about your political views. You could combine topics too, like if you write about how being conservative doesn't mean you aren't an activist in helping the underpriviledged.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 am

Osos wrote:You could combine topics too, like if you write about how being conservative doesn't mean you aren't an activist in helping the underpriviledged.

I like the implicit assumption there. Good times.

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 am

Haha well I do feel safe in assuming that there is a certain stereotype about conservatives that the op doesn't fit

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”