Too Cliche?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Too Cliche?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:59 pm

I know that they say not to write your personal statement about why you want to go to law school, but in reflecting in general over the path I've followed academically, I ended up writing one that does address this.

General outline of what it does:
Paragraph 1---Brings up the fact that I'm multi-racial, but didn't really notice it until I hit an age where people started confusing me with other half-Asian people they knew, and when I had a Chinese language teacher who decided it was her mission to "save" half-Asians from her perceived horrors of American society. Paragraph establishes why I became sensitive to the topic of race.
Paragraph 2---Goes over how I've tackled the question of race and racism from different academics lens as I aged--sociology in high school, social cognition in college, and how my thesis addresses why it is that people tend to confuse people of other races with each other(so I now have a scientific reason for the phenomenon I experienced when younger in paragraph 1).
Paragraph 3---Ties this into how I now want to shift and take what I've learned and apply it to the field of law.

So in general I would say it places my pursuit of law into a larger context of an intellectual journey I've been on since I was in middle school. I've shown it to people I know and the general response is positive, but I just wonder/worry that it might be too cliche.

Re: Too Cliche?

Postby KatieKat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm

That does sound cliche, but as long as it's written in an interesting way, I don't see a problem with having a cliche topic.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”