Non-URM Diversity Statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lola_wants

New

Non-URM Diversity Statements

Post by lola_wants » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:26 pm

TLS was super helpful to me in my cycle (starting at NYU this fall with $$), so I thought I'd post this for a friend who's starting the process. He's an Asian-American male; can he write a diversity statement, or is that only recommended for actual URMs? If the answer to that question is yes, can he submit the diversity statement to schools that don't specifically request one (i.e. HYS)? I never quite figured this out, and did not submit any diversity statements (don't think it affected my cycle), but if he can write something compelling, maybe it's another chance for admissions officers to get to know him. Thanks in advance!

Angelica Pickles

New

Re: Non-URM Diversity Statements

Post by Angelica Pickles » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:56 am

lola_wants wrote:TLS was super helpful to me in my cycle (starting at NYU this fall with $$), so I thought I'd post this for a friend who's starting the process. He's an Asian-American male; can he write a diversity statement, or is that only recommended for actual URMs? If the answer to that question is yes, can he submit the diversity statement to schools that don't specifically request one (i.e. HYS)? I never quite figured this out, and did not submit any diversity statements (don't think it affected my cycle), but if he can write something compelling, maybe it's another chance for admissions officers to get to know him. Thanks in advance!
If he truly thinks he can bring diversity to the university then I see no reason why he shouldn't write one.

KatieKat

New

Post by KatieKat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Angelica Pickles wrote:
lola_wants wrote:TLS was super helpful to me in my cycle (starting at NYU this fall with $$), so I thought I'd post this for a friend who's starting the process. He's an Asian-American male; can he write a diversity statement, or is that only recommended for actual URMs? If the answer to that question is yes, can he submit the diversity statement to schools that don't specifically request one (i.e. HYS)? I never quite figured this out, and did not submit any diversity statements (don't think it affected my cycle), but if he can write something compelling, maybe it's another chance for admissions officers to get to know him. Thanks in advance!
If he truly thinks he can bring diversity to the university then I see no reason why he shouldn't write one.
I agree. As long as it's well-written, the worst that can happen is some schools may not read it. I can't imagine that it could hurt his application.

GossipGirl2002

New

Post by GossipGirl2002 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 am

Angelica Pickles wrote:
My name is boogery Lil, I give all my boogers to Phil. They're yellow an' green if you know what I mean, so I...AND ANGELICA'S THE BEST!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”