childhood cancer survivor

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MI48307

childhood cancer survivor

Postby MI48307 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Hello,
I am a childhood cancer survivor and was wondering if this would give me an edge at all in my law school applications (I would incorporate this into my personal statement). Would I be considered a "minority" of sorts? I have tried to research this topic on my own, but since childhood cancer survivors make up such a small percentage of the population (much less ones that are applying to law school) I haven't found much information. Also, is anyone aware of any graduate school scholarships for cancer survivors? I know there are several for undergraduate students but haven't found much for graduate students.
Thanks in advance for your help!

KatieKat

Re: childhood cancer survivor

Postby KatieKat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be considered a minority or get special consideration just because you survived cancer... BUT I think it could help you enormously in the form of a personal statement, by showing that you have triumphed over a large obstacle and discussing the effect it had on your life. You may even be able to get away with writing a diversity statement about it if you really wanted to, but I think that the personal statement will say it all and you want to make sure you don't sound redundant.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:17 pm

I agree with Katie:

It will be a soft, the strength of which is unknown but will vary depending on how well you integrate it into your personal statement.

I don't think that you should write a diversity statement - not to say that your experience isn't diverse, but because diversity statements typically describe people whose diverse experience is due to some innate quality which distinguishes them culturally. Surviving cancer is an awesome feat, but it doesn't really fit this.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 pm

I think that a diversity statement could be a good way to go if you want to write your ps about something different. If you write about how cancer has made you unique and you do it extremely well then I think it could be a valuable addition to your application.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm

I think it could work much better as a diversity statement than a personal statement. While surviving cancer is something that is amazing and should be celebrated, do you want to be defined as "the cancer survivor"? The personal statement should, in part, define who you are beyond your numbers. Maybe you can use your story to show how it helped shaped you, but be wary of focusing solely on your triumph over cancer. Another point you should consider is how old were you when you had cancer. If you were young, say less than 13, hopefully you have done other important things in your life that you can focus on. (I'm really hoping this doesn't come off as insensitive. I'm just trying to say it matter of fact.) I have read threads on here where others have been warned away from focusing on things that happened in high school, even. But, once again, if you can link your story to college and beyond, that could work.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Write it, post it then we will see

pinellasgrad

Postby pinellasgrad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 pm

I am also a childhood cancer survivor. I am interested to see how you incorporate it into your PS. I was a 13 at time of diagnosis. I have seen in the literature at Stetson that there is a cancer survivor in the last entering class - so they do keep track.

I took the June LSAT

Kyle

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”