This PS Helped Me Crack the T14

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
existenz

This PS Helped Me Crack the T14

Postby existenz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 pm

OK so now that my cycle is over, I thought I'd post my PS and my real numbers.

GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 166

Admitted: Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, UT, UCLA, USC, Northwestern (all with $$).
WL'd: NYU, Columbia, Boalt
Dinged: HYS, Chicago

How did I outperform my numbers? By being honest, passionate and yes unique in my PS. It's ok to take risks when writing as long as you convey who you are as a person. I think this conveys me perfectly.

“Go deeper,” I whispered, as he thrust his pipe further and further beneath the surface.

I always had a thing for cowboys and oil men. In Texas they are the princes that little girls dream about. But on this summer day I was no longer a little girl. My body had blossomed and with it my fascination for men: strong men, sweaty men, men of the earth, men like this Chevron engineer testing our land for oil. My father had left us when I was five, and I had only sisters. Just the sight of a real live hunk of masculinity, so close, yet so forbidden, had me short of breath.

His long shaft trembled as he worked, the sweat dripping from his shirtless torso as he pounded away and adjusted and pounded again. When he struck the mother lode and the pipe began gushing, he looked into my eyes and said my dreams had come true. I was too naïve (and too flustered) to see that he was lying. I was 17.

In the ensuing years I grew wiser in the ways of oil and men. Both can bring stability, wealth, joy, a better life. But they can abandon you, your delicate fields plundered and worthless, without saying sorry or goodbye. Our wells lasted just five short years, taking the girls of my family to the top of Dallas society and back down again. I spent my college years at UT being ravished by every rich frat boy I met, all the while imagining them to be that Chevron engineer who had awakened my desires and altered the course of my life. But when the oil stopped flowing and the money dried up and the lawsuits began, reality set in. The boys stopped calling, my credit cards stopped working, my life seemed to have fallen off a cliff. My mother lost everything, having signed over too much to the same Chevron man who I had spent years pining for. The well wasn’t rich enough, he told her, to cover the drilling and maintenance and cleanup. It was a lie, like everything else he had said, but the fine print backed him up.

The day we were evicted from my grandfather’s land is the day I decided to become a lawyer. We have a saying in Texas: “the hotter the fire, the harder the hide”. I have spent the last year sleeping with ex-boyfriends just to have a place to shower, going on internet dates for the free food, buying knockoffs because I cannot afford Gucci. At night I have fitful dreams of the day I receive my JD from your law school, stroking that rolled diploma in my hands and knowing that no man will ever take advantage of me again – at least, not without my acquiescence first.

Undergrad went by so fast, leaving me little time to enjoy it. I plan to take it slow and easy in law school, allowing each sensation to overwhelm me: the generous office hours of your experienced and mature faculty, the tantalizing promise of your career services, the generous male to female ratio of the student body, the hard and awe-inspiring walls of your law buildings, the dewy moist grass of your quad, the cavernous interior of your law library, the orgasmic release of final exams. To be honest, just writing about it has my temperature rising. Not since the Chevron man buried his shaft in my field have I wanted something so badly. Cowboys and oil men don’t do it for me any longer. The law is my prince now.

My journey to this point has been long and unfulfilling. Now my body aches for what comes next. I want to know the law, I want to believe in it, I want to feel it deep inside me as I study during those dark and lonely nights. “Go deeper,” I plan to say, only this time I’ll be saying it to myself. My mind is open and lubricated, ready to take in all that 1L and beyond has to offer. Please give me a chance, and I will make sure you never regret it.

Thank you for your consideration.

lawschoollll

Re: This PS Helped Me Crack the T14

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Um, as they say on xoxo, "180."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

The first three paragraphs made me go :shock: and then I realized this was flame.

180, you actually had me convinced for a second there.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Image :lol:
Entertaining though. Thanks for that.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:The first three paragraphs made me go :shock: and then I realized this was flame.

Saw that before the edit! I think it was "The first three paragraphs are incredibly dirty sounding." :mrgreen:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The first three paragraphs made me go :shock: and then I realized this was flame.

Saw that before the edit! I think it was "The first three paragraphs are incredibly dirty sounding." :mrgreen:

Yep... then I saw the part about sleeping with ex-boyfriends and I realized I had been duped. I'm at work so I'm more skimming than I am reading, but still... inexcusable! -1 for romo!

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm

I love you.

Postby 06132010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:55 pm

stunning.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Awesome. :lol:

Corsair