To complain or not to complain? hard times or good times?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawschoolisfun2012

To complain or not to complain? hard times or good times?

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 am

I got terrible grades sophomore year college. I went on to average a 3.6 in my last two years (a 3.3 overall). Both of my parents (got remarried) and divorced my sophomore year. One divorce was very very nasty, I was even called to the stand as a witness. I would like to say it was not the reason for my low grades, but I really don't know. On another note, I have some really really awesome, good, positive things to write about in my personal statement as to why my GPA trended up. So, should I leave out the negative part? Talk about it all? Thoughts? It is funny how these statements are personal, but we make them public. Personally, I think a lot of people had it worse than me, so that is why I want to stick with the good, avoid the bad, and let the admissions officer see the increased GPA trend....thanks in advance!

Underoath

Re: To complain or not to complain? hard times or good times?

Postby Underoath » Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:I got terrible grades sophomore year college. I went on to average a 3.6 in my last two years (a 3.3 overall). Both of my parents (got remarried) and divorced my sophomore year. One divorce was very very nasty, I was even called to the stand as a witness. I would like to say it was not the reason for my low grades, but I really don't know. On another note, I have some really really awesome, good, positive things to write about in my personal statement as to why my GPA trended up. So, should I leave out the negative part? Talk about it all? Thoughts? It is funny how these statements are personal, but we make them public. Personally, I think a lot of people had it worse than me, so that is why I want to stick with the good, avoid the bad, and let the admissions officer see the increased GPA trend....thanks in advance!

I personally believe you should focus on your accomplishments and the positives!

batgirl

Re: To complain or not to complain? hard times or good times?

Postby batgirl » Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm

My 1/50 of a dollar:

This is really a question of how you want to package yourself. You can talk about the divorce situation and focus on the bad parts, skip it and leave the start of your trend a mystery, or discuss it and use it as a way to set up the context in which positive things occurred. Each presents a pretty different picture of you.

If it was really related and makes sense in the context of your statement, I would go with the latter option. I get the impression that you want to present yourself as someone who focuses on the good. If you leave it out, you just give the impression that there's nothing but the good things that happened. If you put it in, you can show yourself as someone who moved past it. Yes, it's not the worst thing that ever happened to anyone who applied to law school, but it is an interesting situation that you could present in many ways depending on your tone. (Heck, I can imagine a PS starting off this way and being really funny.)

Your question reminded me of this for some reason: Accentuate the Positive from The Singing Detective

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”