Can I use the same PS for the same school

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
winc

Can I use the same PS for the same school

Postby winc » Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Just got rejected by my first choice, I know I am borderline for admission so I am considering doing ED for the 2014 class at the same school. My question is can I use the same PS I used this year or will the admissions committees members disapprove this. Thanks

PlugInBaby

Re: Can I use the same PS for the same school

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu May 13, 2010 8:13 pm

I do not know if they will frown upon it...but conventional wisdom is to write a new PS.

kinch

Postby kinch » Thu May 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Yes, you can use the same one. Keep in mind that when you come back to that PS after the summer, you'll probably find some stuff that you don't like and will want to rewrite it in a different way.

That's what I did, anyway, and I got accepted to schools that had rejected me.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah I don't think they will auto-reject if you do this, but it will show an extreme lack of effort, as they WILL have your old PS. They don't throw that stuff away. Write a new one on a new topic. Use the opportunity to explore other interesting things about yourself your first PS didn't cover. If nothing else, two PS's give you twice them twice the reasons to admit you!

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu May 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Why would you re-apply with the PS that didn't get you in? If it's great, and you think there's something else in your app which kept you out that you are changing, then I suppose it's not going to hurt you. But submitting the exact same application again next year seems like a pretty stupid move.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Doing so will probably make you look lazy (as others have said, they keep it on file). Also, read the info that schools give for reapplying. IIRC, Northwestern, for example, states that they want new statements. In the end, unless your first PS was James Joyce's Ulysses, I would writing a new one cannot hurt you and not writing a new one may hurt you.

EDIT:
cubswin wrote:Why would you re-apply with the PS that didn't get you in? If it's great, and you think there's something else in your app which kept you out that you are changing, then I suppose it's not going to hurt you. But submitting the exact same application again next year seems like a pretty stupid move.

Might be because the OP applied late? Or the OP feels that ED'ing will give the extra boost necessary? Still I agree that it is best to alter the application.

winc

Postby winc » Fri May 14, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks everybody I will take all the suggestions into consideration.

winc

Postby winc » Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 am

bk1 wrote:Doing so will probably make you look lazy (as others have said, they keep it on file). Also, read the info that schools give for reapplying. IIRC, Northwestern, for example, states that they want new statements. In the end, unless your first PS was James Joyce's Ulysses, I would writing a new one cannot hurt you and not writing a new one may hurt you.

EDIT:
cubswin wrote:Why would you re-apply with the PS that didn't get you in? If it's great, and you think there's something else in your app which kept you out that you are changing, then I suppose it's not going to hurt you. But submitting the exact same application again next year seems like a pretty stupid move.

Might be because the OP applied late? Or the OP feels that ED'ing will give the extra boost necessary? Still I agree that it is best to alter the application.

I did apply late. Thank you for your advice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:25 am

winc wrote:I did apply late. Thank you for your advice.

I made the same mistake of applying late this cycle and will be correcting it this coming cycle too. Good luck!

winc

Postby winc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 pm

To you too.

bk1 wrote:
winc wrote:I did apply late. Thank you for your advice.

I made the same mistake of applying late this cycle and will be correcting it this coming cycle too. Good luck!

Angelica Pickles

Postby Angelica Pickles » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

winc wrote:Just got rejected by my first choice, I know I am borderline for admission so I am considering doing ED for the 2014 class at the same school. My question is can I use the same PS I used this year or will the admissions committees members disapprove this. Thanks

I would use the original as a base PS and make some significant revisions.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”