Using the word "massocist" in this LOCI paragraph....

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Showtimer

Using the word "massocist" in this LOCI paragraph....

Postby Showtimer » Tue May 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Is this an ok topic for an LOCI and can i say masochist in a lighthearted comment liek this?
Last edited by Showtimer on Tue May 04, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feynman

Re: Using the word "massocist" in this LOCI paragraph....

Postby Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Do people often get off waitlists by taking the summer LSAT?

Maybe it's just me, but I think word choice is the least of this LOCI's problems. I would think a more traditional LOCI would have more success.

weee

Postby weee » Tue May 04, 2010 3:16 pm

If you use the word "massocist" I surely hope they reject you, try masochist instead, or just leave it out
Last edited by weee on Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonArtest

Postby RonArtest » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Don't include that. It doesn't add anything useful to your letter.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Feynman wrote:Do people often get off waitlists by taking the summer LSAT?

Maybe it's just me, but I think word choice is the least of this LOCI's problems. I would think a more traditional LOCI would have more success.

+1. your situation is not at all unique. good luck!

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

1) you should not divulge that you are not on top of your game early in the morning. It is not something the admissions committee is likely to be lenient about.

2) Also, one of your sentences seems to imply that had this not been such a competitive admissions season, your scores surely would have been good enough for them . I doubt that statement will endear you to them.

3) A LOCI for a school that you really want to attend shouldn't have that jokey comment about masochism in it. Or any jokey comment. Cute does not come off very well with these people.

A LOCI should say, "I love your school, here are the reasons why I think it would be a very good fit, then you might want to mention that you're going to take the LSAT a third time to prove that you can get a better score, then you should thank them for continuing to consider your application."

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue May 04, 2010 3:21 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:1) you should not divulge that you are not on top of your game early in the morning. It is not something the admissions committee is likely to be lenient about.

2) Also, one of your sentences seems to imply that had this not been such a competitive admissions season, your scores surely would have been good enough for them . I doubt that statement will endear you to them.

3) A LOCI for a school that you really want to attend shouldn't have that jokey comment about masochism in it. Or any jokey comment. Cute does not come off very well with these people.

A LOCI should say, "I love your school, here are the reasons why I think it would be a very good fit, then you might want to mention that you're going to take the LSAT a third time to prove that you can get a better score, then you should thank them for continuing to consider your application."

Agree with this ^.

OP, that letter just isn't gonna work. Please don't send it. Instead, read the many examples of very good LOCIs that have worked and go from there.

If you need help with a good one, I know there are plenty of TLSers who would be willing to help :)

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd say no, and honestly I'd rethink your approach to this LOCI. You come across a little bit flippant and I think a more straightforward style might be more appreciated. I'm sure that isn't how you meant it at all, but the way I read it came across as:

"I am writing to you today to demonstrate my continued desire to attend the one of the country's most selective and elite schools, Cornell Law" = You guys obviously think you're too good for me, but I still want in
(Maybe avoid the words selective and elite and say respected instead?)

"I know that respective scores of 167 and 168 are both excellent scores and that perhaps during an admission cycle in which the quality and quantity of competition had not been unprecedentedly high, I may have managed to gain admission to Cornell." = You really should have let me in, what were you thinking? If this was a direct quote from them, I would still rephrase it - maybe just say "I appreciate you letting me know that my previous LSAT scores made me a competitive candidate."

"Additionally, and in all honesty, I really do enjoy preparing for the LSAT as masochistic as that may sound."
I don't think this really adds anything.

And finally, are you REALLY sure you can score better? I haven't been in your position so I can't say for sure, but if it was me I'd be worried that a lower score (or even the same) might be the kiss of death.

Just my two cents. I hope it helps!

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Wed May 05, 2010 3:32 am

gilagarta wrote:I'd say no, and honestly I'd rethink your approach to this LOCI. You come across a little bit flippant and I think a more straightforward style might be more appreciated. I'm sure that isn't how you meant it at all, but the way I read it came across as:

"I am writing to you today to demonstrate my continued desire to attend the one of the country's most selective and elite schools, Cornell Law" = You guys obviously think you're too good for me, but I still want in
(Maybe avoid the words selective and elite and say respected instead?)

"I know that respective scores of 167 and 168 are both excellent scores and that perhaps during an admission cycle in which the quality and quantity of competition had not been unprecedentedly high, I may have managed to gain admission to Cornell." = You really should have let me in, what were you thinking? If this was a direct quote from them, I would still rephrase it - maybe just say "I appreciate you letting me know that my previous LSAT scores made me a competitive candidate."

Did he really write it???????

LOL

"Additionally, and in all honesty, I really do enjoy preparing for the LSAT as masochistic as that may sound."
I don't think this really adds anything.

And finally, are you REALLY sure you can score better? I haven't been in your position so I can't say for sure, but if it was me I'd be worried that a lower score (or even the same) might be the kiss of death.

Just my two cents. I hope it helps!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”