Anyone write an addendum about having cancer? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Anyone write an addendum about having cancer?

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 pm

I was just wondering if anyone wrote an addendum about being diagnosed with cancer. How did you approach it? What did you say? Do you think it impacted your chances at any of the schools you applied to? At the risk of sounding weird, I worry that schools might not accept me because they fear something might go medically wrong while a student there.

MentalGopher

New

Re: Anyone write an addendum about having cancer?

Post by MentalGopher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:22 pm

It might depend on what kind you had and for how long you had it.

I'm in sort of the same situation as you are, though. Not sure whether to include it in my list of softs or not.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I have a similar situation (a life threatening illness pulled me out of school long term). In my case I just said "My enrollment was interrupted from X to X. On X date, X medical event occurred. My doctors have confirmed there are no mental effects whatsoever, and do not anticipate such an event to reoccur or interfere with my law school studies." I kept in very general, though I did address what happened in depth in my personal statement.

The way I see it, I have gone through someone that very very few people my age have been through, and managed to not only survive but thrive. My perspective is more mature and nuanced than most people attending law school, really of any age. I don't see how that can hurt me. In fact several of the schools I was admitted to wrote notes on my admission's form regarding the incident in positive terms.

If you'd like to PM me your exact addendum or see mine for reference I'd be happy to take a look.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I was just wondering if anyone wrote an addendum about being diagnosed with cancer. How did you approach it? What did you say? Do you think it impacted your chances at any of the schools you applied to? At the risk of sounding weird, I worry that schools might not accept me because they fear something might go medically wrong while a student there.
I am thinking the same thing you are thinking, with a more terminal slant to it depending on how aggressive your cancer becomes (and who knows that, really).

I don't know, diagnosis happens inside one doctor's visit...they simply tell you the results.

Hospitalized while battling it and achieving some goal regardless that the hospitalization had interrupted...that is a different story.

I wouldn't put that but more experienced PS folks on here might give you better reasons why or why not.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 pm

legalized wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:I was just wondering if anyone wrote an addendum about being diagnosed with cancer. How did you approach it? What did you say? Do you think it impacted your chances at any of the schools you applied to? At the risk of sounding weird, I worry that schools might not accept me because they fear something might go medically wrong while a student there.
I am thinking the same thing you are thinking, with a more terminal slant to it depending on how aggressive your cancer becomes (and who knows that, really).

I don't know, diagnosis happens inside one doctor's visit...they simply tell you the results.

Hospitalized while battling it and achieving some goal regardless that the hospitalization had interrupted...that is a different story.

I wouldn't put that but more experienced PS folks on here might give you better reasons why or why not.
um, so there's this f-ing thing called English. Learn to use it, buddy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:21 pm

MentalGopher wrote:It might depend on what kind you had and for how long you had it.

I'm in sort of the same situation as you are, though. Not sure whether to include it in my list of softs or not.
Why would it depend on the type of cancer/length of time? I think it depends more on how mature you are as a writer (i.e., no pandering, no pleads for sympathy, etc.). A lot of self-reflection and personal growth occurs throughout the cancer battle. You come out of it more aware of what you want out of life.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 pm

CCN wrote:
MentalGopher wrote:It might depend on what kind you had and for how long you had it.

Why would it depend on the type of cancer/length of time? I think it depends more on how mature you are as a writer (i.e., no pandering, no pleads for sympathy, etc.). A lot of self-reflection and personal growth occurs throughout the cancer battle. You come out of it more aware of what you want out of life.
OP expressed concerns that adcoms might think she/he would become ill and not be able to attend or complete school. In that regard, i think it does depend on the individual medical condition. I chose to share very limited medical information other than to say my doctor's didn't anticipate a problem. If there was a real possibility of a problem preventing me from school, I am not entirely sure how I would address it.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 pm

jks289 wrote:
CCN wrote:

OP expressed concerns that adcoms might think she/he would become ill and not be able to attend or complete school. In that regard, i think it does depend on the individual medical condition. I chose to share very limited medical information other than to say my doctor's didn't anticipate a problem. If there was a real possibility of a problem preventing me from school, I am not entirely sure how I would address it.

Yea, I read that part. I had faith that adcoms wouldn't discriminate against conditions that are out of one's hands, and for which there is no definitive prognosis one way or another. I might be naive though.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 pm

CCN wrote: um, so there's this f-ing thing called English. Learn to use it, buddy.
boooo

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:58 pm

jks289 wrote:
CCN wrote:

To be a little more specific, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer right before this last set of mid-terms during my UG. I've been in and out of the hospital all semester; I graduate college on Sunday (two days) and they will have me in for surgery not long after to get a full hysterectomy. I fear that with it being so 'new' and my only taking one year off of school, they will worry about doctors visits and chemotherapy. I mean, it is a valid concern, and one I won't know the full extent of until after the biopsy. I suppose I worry that they will personify my own fears into reality, which at the moment are my not being accepted due to medical reasons. That has to sound horrifically silly, but is my biggest fear at the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”