I need some advice on whether or not to include an addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bnj1989

Postby bnj1989 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Edit: Nevermind
Last edited by bnj1989 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcflooter06

Re: I need some advice on whether or not to include an addendum

Postby mcflooter06 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:31 pm

It is really hard to give you any sort of advice this far out, but I'll do what I can.

Don't worry about the addendum right now, you still have quite some time before you need to apply. Just do the best you can, get all/mostly As your remaining time there. Perhaps take some summer classes so that more classes towards your degree will be counted in your LSAC GPA (and even better, graduate early and take a semester or so off before law school). A semester may really not hurt you that much overall, depending on your prior and future grades. Seriously, all you need to be worrying about right now are those grades, and in a while, that LSAT.

I included an addendum explaining a year and a half of grades (if you're interested in really knowing about it, and how I explained it, shoot me a PM), but I really don't feel like it was too terribly necessary; I still got the exact same outcome that I expected. Your situation could definitely cause some serious emotional stress, so I can understand how your grades may have suffered, but depending on a lot of unknown factors, and addendum may not be necessary. Worry about it when you're actually appyling ;)

All in all, don't worry YET, get those awesome grades, and kill the LSAT. Good luck!

bnj1989

Postby bnj1989 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for the advice! I guess it is kind of early to worry about, but I have been in panic mode the past week or so.

legalized

Postby legalized » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 pm

bnj1989 wrote:So I will be applying to Law School in the future. I still have a quite while, but I always obsessively plan ahead. I was just curious about possibly including an addendum to explain the dip in my grades during the second semester of my sophmore year, which was this year. I have heard some say that attaching an addendum might be good in some cases, but others you would be better off leaving it out.

Anyway, about four months ago, a parent of mine, who was incarcerated, had been recently released. Due to circumstances that I am still not 100% clear on, said parent is now due to be incarcerated AGAIN in the near future. And when I say the near future, I mean like now. Unfortunately, said parent left the state a while back and… well, I’m not really sure what that means now, in legal terms. That’s why I want to go to law school. But I know that said parent is basically a wanted person. Just to clarify, it’s not for murder, assault, or any violent crime. Nor have I had contact with said parent since findiing out.

Now, I’ve had things like this happen before, so I’m usually able to pull it together and deal with it, but recently a grandparent passed and that’s something I haven’t dealt with very well. So that event kind of spilled into other things, madness has ensued, and yeah grades have dipped a bit.

I feel like my reasons might be legitimate, but terrified that I might come off as if I am making excuses (even though that kind of is what I am doing). I’m also concerned that mentioning certain details about a parent might give the school that I am applying to the wrong impression of me. So I am not sure if I should mention it. Also, it’s kind of embarrassing. I’m even embarrassed typing it right now, but I kind of need some advice. I haven’t really spoken to anyone about it aside from relatives.

So…any takers?

Many people take their grandparents dying hard.

You have 2 years. Up the GPA and fugeddaboudit.

You should think of addendums as something to be avoided like the plague. Don't look for excuses to write one, look for every means possible NOT to write one. I have to write one (complete withdrawals more than one semester, for one) and it sucks, but I intend to make it short sweet bullets with some kind of factoid on the end that proves why xyz can virtually NEVER happen again.

yeff

Postby yeff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 pm

1. If your goal is simply to maximize your chance of admission to the best law school possible, instead of worrying about this, worry about getting the best grades possible for the rest of college, and worry about getting the best possible LSAT score.
2. The amount of contrast between this semester and other will matter - if the difference does not jump off the page I'd lean toward not writing the addendum.
3. Remember this - an addendum will basically ONLY affect your application at the margin. That is, all else equal, your explanation might cause you to be admitted over an otherwise identical candidate with consistent grades. But it won't boost you past those with higher grades.

bnj1989

Postby bnj1989 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks everyone. I ended up being a bit too pessimistic about my possible final grades because they were higher than what I had anticipated.

habika

Postby habika » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 am

I’m concerned that mentioning certain details about a parent might give the school that I am applying to the wrong impression of me. So I am not sure if I should mention it. Also, it’s kind of embarrassing. I’m even embarrassed typing it right now, but I kind of need some advice. I haven’t really spoken to anyone about it aside from relatives.
====================================
Law Help

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”