SMU Dedman PS and Paragraph?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
alito08

SMU Dedman PS and Paragraph?

Postby alito08 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:17 pm

If anyone has had experience with applying at SMU your input would be appreciated.

I am going to apply to SMU this fall, and I have noticed that they require a paragraph concerning "why SMU?"

I want to know if this means that in addition to my PS I will need to write a seperate paragraph concerning the subject, or if this just means that I need to include a paragraph in my personal statement concerning it?

Also, is there any information concerning how long SMU's PS needs to be, or maximum lenght?

Any information on this subject would be great. Thanks.

squ1rtle

Re: SMU Dedman PS and Paragraph?

Postby squ1rtle » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 pm

I had my Why SMU? paragraph as a separate attachment in addition to my personal statement. It was about half a page long in case that helps.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 pm

alito08 wrote:I want to know if this means that in addition to my PS I will need to write a seperate paragraph concerning the subject, or if this just means that I need to include a paragraph in my personal statement concerning it?

They want a specific paragraph separate from the PS relating why you wish to attend SMU. I was told when I visited that it's moderately important, so don't just blow it off.

alito08 wrote:Also, is there any information concerning how long SMU's PS needs to be, or maximum lenght?

No minimum or maximum, but mine was a little more than 1/2 a page, double-spaced.

alito08

Postby alito08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:09 am

Great information, thanks. My PS is about 3 pgs due to certain backgroung info, is it kosher with SMU to use 11 pt font to shorten it? And is 3 pgs too long for SMU, seeing that many tier 1s limit PS' to 2 pgs?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 am

alito08 wrote:Great information, thanks. My PS is about 3 pgs due to certain backgroung info, is it kosher with SMU to use 11 pt font to shorten it? And is 3 pgs too long for SMU, seeing that many tier 1s limit PS' to 2 pgs?

I think mine was 2.5 pages and I'm pretty sure I used 11-point font. According to Appreqs, it should be 2-3 double-spaced pages.

You're fine.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Don't overthink it. I don't think the "Why SMU" essay is particularly important in the admission process. I wrote mine in about an hour and said a more or less basic response. Mine had a bit of personality to it (I mentioned coming back home to Texas - since I was born there), academic reputation/employment prospects, and that sort of thing.

Nothing shocking, but it did the trick.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

alito08 wrote:Also, is there any information concerning how long SMU's PS needs to be, or maximum lenght?

The length guidance is included on the application.

13. A personal statement containing any information that is especially relevant to your decision to study law, which may include factors such as what motivates you to study law, what you seek to accomplish with your law degree, and how your past experiences may help you to accomplish your goals. If you are applying to the evening program, your personal statement should focus on why you are interested in attending SMU's evening program, including your professional and/or personal achievements and your anticipated contribution to the evening program. (Approximately 2-3 double-spaced pages.)

And as others have said, the "Why SMU?" paragraph is a separate item.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”