Immigration PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Immigration PS

Postby zozin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Immigration PS

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 pm

zozin wrote:Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?


I don't think it would. While there are quite a few PS written similar to that vein, if you actually have experience helping others I think that would balance out with any cliche you might have. The fact that you personally emigrated here might also work in your favor.

I would be glad to read it if you need some feedback. :)

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Immigration PS

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm

you had a Ppenn avatar last - I assumed you got into Penn this cycle.

oh the internet and it's cloak of deception.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Immigration PS

Postby zozin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:you had a Ppenn avatar last - I assumed you got into Penn this cycle.

oh the internet and it's cloak of deception.

No. I was sporting the tar in order to get more interesting for Penn, since there was a thread discussing the least talked about T14 program. I'm apply this fall, and yes I am considering Penn.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Immigration PS

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Nobody?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Immigration PS

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:07 pm

I think it would be pretty awesome if you tied your immigration story into your desire to learn about and work in the field.

Imagine telling your immigration story, then talking about the current state of affairs (the whole Arizona Nazi statute), then just basically saying that although you don't know the answers to such difficult issues, your experiences, combined with the current state of the immigration issue in the us, gives you an unique interest in and desire to contribute to desire to contribute to that area of the law.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Immigration PS

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

hombredulce wrote:I think it would be pretty awesome if you tied your immigration story into your desire to learn about and work in the field.

Imagine telling your immigration story, then talking about the current state of affairs (the whole Arizona Nazi statute), then just basically saying that although you don't know the answers to such difficult issues, your experiences, combined with the current state of the immigration issue in the us, gives you an unique interest in and desire to contribute to desire to contribute to that area of the law.


That's actually a good idea, but wouldn't the adcoms see through the smoke and mirrors if you were completely bullshitting about wanting to do immigration law?

JoyceL1986
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: Immigration PS

Postby JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:21 pm

zozin wrote:Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?


Cliche? how so? How many American students do you know that help out immigrants with their naturalization? Sounds like a unique story to me.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Immigration PS

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I'd want to read about it. It all comes down to execution in the end though




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.