Why XYZ school?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
OmbreGracieuse

Why XYZ school?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 pm

I am just curious for those of you who wrote a "why XYZ" PS... what did you say for the WHY? Was it a program... teachers, ect? Was it umbrellad for every school you applied to, or did you write a different reason for each school?

holydonkey

Re: Why XYZ school?

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I am just curious for those of you who wrote a "why XYZ" PS... what did you say for the WHY? Was it a program... teachers, ect? Was it umbrellad for every school you applied to, or did you write a different reason for each school?
I only wrote one. The reasons I gave were sincere things I liked about the school. Reputation/course offerings/faculty in a certain field and why I would be a good candidate for working in that field. I got into that school (a reach).

I tried to write one for other schools, but it was pretty hard. I think you have to really mean what you say for it to be effective.

OmbreGracieuse

Re: Why XYZ school?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 pm

holydonkey wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:I am just curious for those of you who wrote a "why XYZ" PS... what did you say for the WHY? Was it a program... teachers, ect? Was it umbrellad for every school you applied to, or did you write a different reason for each school?
I only wrote one. The reasons I gave were sincere things I liked about the school. Reputation/course offerings/faculty in a certain field and why I would be a good candidate for working in that field. I got into that school (a reach).

I tried to write one for other schools, but it was pretty hard. I think you have to really mean what you say for it to be effective.

I actually am applying to a reach school. The issue I am running into is that one of the general pushes they give is to explain "Why XYZ?"

I like one of their programs specifically-- it isn't really offered in any other schools (not the way it is there), but I didn't know if that sufficed or if they were looking for something grandoise.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”