advice on addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jayjohn

New

advice on addendum

Post by jayjohn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 am

I posted this on the admissions thread ,however didnt get much feedback,
Hello everyone, I need advice on what to do for my current situation, I plan to apply to law school next year, in the start of my undergrad to my second year i had to drop out do to a family death, and family debt that restricted me from continuing school, I had to drop out after the withdrawal date which stained my transcript at that university. Two years later , after working and paying off family debt and supporting family members financially, I returned to a different university and started a different degree and achieved a 3.83 gpa(excluding my previous university marks). I also have a 175 lsat score. Will an addendum help or work? and has anyone tried an addendum and gotten results? thank u any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Re: advice on addendum

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm

jayjohn wrote:I posted this on the admissions thread ,however didnt get much feedback,
Hello everyone, I need advice on what to do for my current situation, I plan to apply to lawl skool next year, in the start of my undergrad to my second year i had to drop out do to a family death, and family debt that restricted me from continuing school, I had to drop out after the withdrawal date which stained my transcript at that university. Two years later , after working and paying off family debt and supporting family members financially, I returned to a different university and started a different degree and achieved a 3.83 gpa(excluding my previous university marks). I also have a 175 lsat score. Will an addendum help or work? and has anyone tried an addendum and gotten results? thank u any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would write an addendum. Leaving school due to a death in the family followed by financial obligations that required you to put your family ahead of your education is certainly addendum-worthy. Much more compelling than the typical, "I was immature and slacked off, but eventually realized someone would look at my grades and decided to work harder" GPA addendum :)

It may also be material for a good PS if you care to write about it.

I'm glad you got a chance to go back and continue your education... many people never get back on the horse after something like what you experienced.

That 175 will help a lot... and the 3.83 from UG round two shows that you are capable. I think you're going to be ok with an explanation of why you got all those WFs that trashed your GPA.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:42 pm

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:what is the actual gpa?
+1
The addendum is worth writing, regardless, cause adcomms will get a better idea what you're going through.
That said, if the GPA differential is small, it's less important than if you reeeeaally got your ish together when you came back to school.

jayjohn

New

Post by jayjohn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:34 am

Sangiovese wrote:
jayjohn wrote:I posted this on the admissions thread ,however didnt get much feedback,
Hello everyone, I need advice on what to do for my current situation, I plan to apply to lawl skool next year, in the start of my undergrad to my second year i had to drop out do to a family death, and family debt that restricted me from continuing school, I had to drop out after the withdrawal date which stained my transcript at that university. Two years later , after working and paying off family debt and supporting family members financially, I returned to a different university and started a different degree and achieved a 3.83 gpa(excluding my previous university marks). I also have a 175 lsat score. Will an addendum help or work? and has anyone tried an addendum and gotten results? thank u any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would write an addendum. Leaving school due to a death in the family followed by financial obligations that required you to put your family ahead of your education is certainly addendum-worthy. Much more compelling than the typical, "I was immature and slacked off, but eventually realized someone would look at my grades and decided to work harder" GPA addendum :)

It may also be material for a good PS if you care to write about it.

I'm glad you got a chance to go back and continue your education... many people never get back on the horse after something like what you experienced.

That 175 will help a lot... and the 3.83 from UG round two shows that you are capable. I think you're going to be ok with an explanation of why you got all those WFs that trashed your GPA.
thanks a lot for your advice and help, my actual gpa is a 2.7 :( given the drop out after the withdrawal date from the first university, all my marks from the second university are in the top 3 in all my classes hopefully the universities will understand, anyone else have similar experiences with results?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayjohn

New

Post by jayjohn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:37 am

any hopes on a top 20? or should i not even bother

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 pm

8)

Want to continue reading?